Roar Before The 24 2018

Thanks everyone for the help , I will try all off this at the race itself at the end of the month

You need to get down to 1/40sec

Thanks Braineack , Now do I keep everything else the same to start out with
F13
iso 320 or raise or lower that too

I am trying to find a good starting point

I was thinking
F22
iso 200
1/40

Thanks Braineack , Now do I keep everything else the same to start out with
F13
iso 320 or raise or lower that too

I am trying to find a good starting point

I was thinking
F22
iso 200
1/40

You don’t want to be shooting sports at f/22.

Put the camera in shutter priority (Tv on canon I think?) and set your shutter speed to where you want it. Put your iso down to the minimum native setting 100-200 usually depending on your camera, and let the camera sort out the aperture. If it gives you an aperture that’s really small like f/22 you may consider using an ND filter to get back down to the f/11 range.

you gotta work your way down, starting at say 1/125 will be good. you will have a keeper rate of about 1%, but when you nail one it's worth it.

here's some inspiration to depress you; buddy of mine has the BEST panning work I've ever seen:

ImidgeryByKMidgett

seriously stunning work.

here's the last time I went out, doesnt hold a candle: Sahlen's Six Hours of The Glen

Thanks for the help Destin I will listen and not shoot at F22
And Braineack than thank you that is not depressing at all , in fact it makes me wanna work harder to get to where he is and yours is just as good imo

And thanks again for all your guys help

How should my auto focus be set for racing , right now its set at AF-C and at auto area

And how should the metering be set right its set at right now its set at Matrix

The camera is a D90 with a NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4-5.6G lens

Thanks to all that are helping me without all the help I think I would have just giving up

go manual mode, meter every now and again.

with your camera, i would use single point giving the other options of dynamic or auto area.

usually i figure out where im going to track the car -- i tend to use a focus spot towards the edge and track along a headlight of the car (helps with framing), then as the car is moving along i try to match the speed, using BBF, then trigger a shot or two when it's where I want it. dont spray and pray.

How should my auto focus be set for racing , right now its set at AF-C and at auto area

And how should the metering be set right its set at right now its set at Matrix

The camera is a D90 with a NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4-5.6G lens

Thanks to all that are helping me without all the help I think I would have just giving up

AF-C is good.

I generally use center point AF with D9.
Auto area modes like 3D can be tricky. RTFM. Some will follow the subject, others will do "closest subject." You also need to practice with area modes, as they may behave different than you think.

Matrix metering is generally fine. BUT, you need to look at the scene. If you have a BRIGHT or DARK background, it can fool the meter into under exposing or over exposing the scene. Then you need to look at using either center weight, spot or manual. If the lighting is not changing, like clouds hiding the sun, you can set to manual and leave it. Think of the "Sunny 16 rule."

Most reactions

Back