www.tcproimages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
322689944_DLodi-X3.jpg

Excellent..i like that picture a lot:thumbup:

Yum, yum... :)

nice and detailed

cool.

Just curious, sorry to 'bug' you about your setup, but do you pretty much always have to use a flash to get good macro shots like yours?

excellent shot
do you pretty much always have to use a flash to get good macro shots like yours?
i'm curious about this as well. i think daan (doenoe) always uses one, plus a softbox to diffuse the light. maybe you two should make a "how to shoot macros of bugs" sticky topic or something, would be very handy for the rest of us. and for you guys, so you don't have to ask the same questions over and over again :)

Hey guys. Thanks for the comments.

Yes, you pretty much have to always use flash due to the aperture needed. Shooting Macro or upclose creates such a shallow DOF that you have to have a small aperture (I use f13 almost always). Using a small aperture requires more light which is why you have to use flash. With that said, you CAN get away with some natural light shots, but it's tough. I usually achieve this by using f8 - f10 aperture and bump up the ISO to around 400. In the right light this will often times get you a shutter speed that's appropriate. If it's still life, all you need is a tripod. Insects tend to move way too much for a tripod.

The setting for my flash shots are always the same:
shutter=200
aperture=f13
ISO=100
Mode=Manual
Focus Mode=AI Servo or Manual

hope that helps

awesome capture.
I still have to find a robber myself, would be awesome to find one with a meal. Till that, i can just look at this pic :)

Yes, you pretty much have to always use flash due to the aperture needed. Shooting Macro or upclose creates such a shallow DOF that you have to have a small aperture (I use f13 almost always). Using a small aperture requires more light which is why you have to use flash. With that said, you CAN get away with some natural light shots, but it's tough. I usually achieve this by using f8 - f10 aperture and bump up the ISO to around 400. In the right light this will often times get you a shutter speed that's appropriate. If it's still life, all you need is a tripod. Insects tend to move way too much for a tripod.

shutter=200
aperture=f13
ISO=100
Mode=Manual

hope that helps

That's very informative and good to know - thanks.

shutter=200
aperture=f13
ISO=100
Mode=Manual

hope that helps

This is amazing info, TC. I assume your lens for these shots is always the 100mm macro, no?

Most reactions

Back