jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Massive...

1. There were 5 of these bad boys to shoot the moon. Amazing

IMG_0389e.jpg

2. Me laying down under the thrust chamber inner wall, holy crap it's huge. I had to lay the camera down and prop it and wasn't able to get the shot I wanted but this was good enough I suppose.
IMG_0392e.jpg

IMG_20161129_123904942_HDRe.jpg

IMG_0349ee.jpg

Last edited:
Massive...

1. There were 5 of these bad boys to shoot the moon. Amazing

View attachment 130961

2. Me laying down under the thrust chamber inner wall, holy crap it's huge. I had to lay the camera down and prop it and wasn't able to get the shot I wanted but this was good enough I suppose.
View attachment 130962

View attachment 130963

View attachment 130964

Nice! I have the Moonwatch and a Fisher Space Pen but NASA never called . . .; BTW, I was showing the Fisher pen to one of my Russian students, years ago, and bragging about how it could write in zero gravity. He looked at me and said, "The Russians just used pencils."

Reactions: alv
Nice! I have the Moonwatch and a Fisher Space Pen but NASA never called . . .; BTW, I was showing the Fisher pen to one of my Russian students, years ago, and bragging about how it could write in zero gravity. He looked at me and said, "The Russians just used pencils."
And the rest is history...lol

Last edited:
Nice shots.

The first stage of the Saturn V (S-1C) used 5 F-1 engines.
The Saturn V needed 2 more stages to reach earth orbit.

There is piping in the exhaust nozzle that the very cold liquid propellant was pumped through, before being burned, to keep the exhaust nozzle from melting.

Each second, a single F-1 burned 5,683 pounds of propellant - RP-1 (highly refined kerosene) and LOX (liquid oxygen). The S-1C, fully fueled at launch, had a total weight of 5,100,000 pounds. The vast majority of that weight was the propellant.
Equally amazing were the turbo-pumps used to deliver 2.5 tons of fuel per second to the engines.

The second stage (S-II) had one J-2 engine.

The 3rd stage (S-IVB-500) also had a single J-2 engine but that J-2 was re-startable. The 3rd stage engine did a 2.5 minute burn to put the spacecraft in an earth parking orbit.
It was later re-started for the trans-lunar injection (TLI) burn (about 6 minutes). Two liquid-fueled Auxiliary Propulsion System (APS) units mounted at the aft end of the S-IVB were used for attitude control during the parking orbit and the TLI burn. The two APSs were also used as ullage engines.

Last edited:
Nice shots.

The first stage of the Saturn 5 used 5 F-1 engines.
The Saturn 5 needed 2 more stages to reach earth orbit.

There is piping in the exhaust nozzle that the very cold liquid propellant was pumped through, before being burned, to keep the exhaust nozzle from melting.

The 3rd stage (S-IVB-500) also had a single J-2 engine but that J-2 was re-startable. The 3rd stage engine did a 2.5 minute burn to put the spacecraft in an earth parking orbit.
It was later re-started for the trans-lunar injection (TLI) burn (about 6 minutes). Two liquid-fueled Auxiliary Propulsion System (APS) units mounted at the aft end of the S-IVB were used for attitude control during the parking orbit and the TLI burn. The two APSs were also used as ullage engines.
Thanks KmH

...........The Saturn 5 needed 2 more stages to reach earth orbit.

It only needed two. The third state was needed for TransLunar Injection.

The 1B, which launched Apollo 7 (one of the 2 Apollo missions that stayed in earth orbit), only had 2 stages. They used the same launch facilities as the SV, but the stack was set on a 'milkstool' to compensate for the loss of height.

Yep, the 2 stage rocket was a Saturn 1B, and didn't need the Saturn V 3rd stage that had the re-startable J-2 engine.
Instead the 1B used a S-IVB-200 stage, w/no J-2 re-start capability for it's 2nd stage.
There were three unmanned Saturn 1B launches (AS-201, AS-203, and AS-202) in 1966.
Apollos 5 & 7 used the Saturn 1B configuration. Both launched in 1968.

Nice, nice images and yes impressive. When I was having coffee waiting for the landing of the first Space Shuttle, I noticed people walking around in jackets which had a label reading "Rockwell" then under Rockwell "Space Division". And I'm thinking, a company with a space division ... most nations of the world don't have a space division.

(BTW- I've been inside a working Space Shuttle. Unfortunately, not while it was working.)

Nice, nice images and yes impressive. When I was having coffee waiting for the landing of the first Space Shuttle, I noticed people walking around in jackets which had a label reading "Rockwell" then under Rockwell "Space Division". And I'm thinking, a company with a space division ... most nations of the world don't have a space division.

(BTW- I've been inside a working Space Shuttle. Unfortunately, not while it was working.)
Thanks bud. First time ever using that SX60HS on a tripod. The images are pretty darn nice on this small sensor camera. It loves the tripod, remote, stabilization off, and manual mode. The only way it's practical for manual mode is on a tripod. It seems it looses the EC while in manual because you have to use that button for adjusting apeture. I did pop off a few, crystal clear shots in some dark areas. This camera is a little gem when you use it correctly.

One of my early photo classes the professor stated that the best way to take a photograph is from a tripod. The more you stabilize the camera the better off you are. Yeah, there is a law of diminishing returns with higher shutter speeds and such ... but essentially it is a photographic truth.

Nice shots.

The first stage of the Saturn V (S-1C) used 5 F-1 engines.
The Saturn V needed 2 more stages to reach earth orbit.

Each second, a single F-1 burned 5,683 pounds of propellant - RP-1 (highly refined kerosene) and LOX (liquid oxygen). The S-1C, fully fueled at launch, had a total weight of 5,100,000 pounds. The vast majority of that weight was the propellant.
Equally amazing were the turbo-pumps used to deliver 2.5 tons of fuel per second to the engines.

All designed by engineers mostly in their twenties.. I can't imagine a group of twenty somethings engineering their way out of a paper bag today...

French curves...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back