Rockin' guitarist shoot

DeepSpring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joshualights.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I did these for two people actually. My friend cut his hair so he can use the shots and for my friend whos in them :) And yes I know they are not the best shots if I want to show his hair, that wasn't my intention, just a bonus.

These were all done with my 430ex off camera via pc sync

Comments and critiques welcome and appreciated :)

20070828_8858.jpg

20070828_8859.jpg

20070828_8912.jpg

20070828_8861.jpg

20070828_8998.jpg

20070828_8946.jpg

I'm listening to Boston right now, and these look like their straight out of the 80's.

I LOVE IT!

You should get another 430, and see what you can do with it. I bet you can get some great results. I've been doing landscape/nature for the past few months, but seeing these, and discovering strobist are really making me want to do some portraits.

Looking at these, and the skateboard shots, really make you think about what you can do with just one strobe off camera.

Thanks a lot man.

You can really do a lot with 1 strobe and some alleys and random walls. I'd love to get another 430 but it's a bit much at the moment. I need ot get somethin like a 17-50 2.8 cause right now my widest is a 50mm and its damn near impossible sometimes to get wide enough. After the lens I'll probably try and find one of those used vivitars or nikons (did I actually just say nikon?!?!?:lol:) since I don't need it to sync when its off camera.

ohhh btw BOSTON ROCKS... put me in the mood. Going to turn em on right now.

lol, the SB-28's?

Yeah, looking on strobist, it makes me want to get a few more SB-600's and an SB-800 (i can already sync them wirelessly off of my D70, so i don't need pocket wizards or sync cables), an umbrella or two, some stands, and grab a few people and shoot their portraits.

Seeing the stuff on there really makes one think twice about studio strobes. Now unless you really do need the power of them, than yeah, no question about it, but still.. It's VERY creative.

You nikon guys and your flash syncing.... pocket wizards would be great but so much more money...

Just wanted to show you the stand I use. We got a lowel light kit for my film class and it came with some of these. After my $30 stand from ritz broke in a week i couldnt resist getting one since I liked it so much. They fold realllly small so it fits great on my backpack. Feet open up pretty wide for stability and as far as I can tell its pretty strong. They have some fancier more expensive and taller ones too but this has been making me happy

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284734-REG/Lowel_UN_55_Uni_To_Light_Stand.html

Well, i mean a light stand is a light stand, The thing that i don't like about lightstands though is that if you're going to use speedlights, you need to use adapters for the hotshoes. I'm using a $20 sunpak tripod as my lightstand for my SB-600 and the stand that came with the speedlight mounts on the tripod, no extra attachments. The only thing that makes a lightstand better, is that is takes up less space, and are usually taller.

I'm not trying to be mean, but I can really see how much you have progressed. Your pictures get better and better every time. I just hope you see it yourself too. I love these pictures. Great job!

I have to agree with nurd. One thing that I think you can do to "refine", or "fine tune" these type of shots, since you don't have the money for another strobe, is to get some reflectors happening. You can get away with a large foamcore reflector. Buy 2 large sheets of foamcore (probably $20-30 for both), tape them together so you can stand them up in a V, and bring it with you to bounce light. In number 1, a tiny bit of shadow detail on his front side, and I mean, only a tiny bit, IMHO would add a whole lot.

I love 3 and 6 but i like them all. Boy, you've been busy... :thumbup:

Matt that is a great idea. I have 1 reflector but I haven't really used it at all because I never had a way or a person to hold up it up. I'm going to go pick up a new one and tape the together. I'm going to see about finding a gold/ silver board and then a white one or some combination of them so I can get the 3 different colors. That way I can just flip it around or turn it over and get different colors for different needs.

Thanks a lot for all your comments. Yes, I have been pretty busy lately

The pop-out reflectors are incredible. You can get them with gold on one side, white on the other, or silver on one side, and white on the other, so you can have a fill card and reflector on the same thing. Not only that, but they're huge and they fold up to super small, small enough to fit in a backpack.

The reason i mentioned another 430 is that you could have used it as a kicker, which would have helped in separation or edge detail.

Great Pics. Its refreshing to see music portraits looking so good rather then the typical group standing in an alley or railroad tracks.

Most reactions

Back