Rocky Mountains - Alberta - Summer 2007

Ooohhhh, I'm very tempted by this. Would have to depend on flight cost and time off work, knowing a date soon would help. If I could make it I would be up for camping/hiking/wading etc :)

Now, let me think, a week of backbreaking toil, or a week in the rocks.:thumbup:

Mike, would you be ok with me putting up a few shots of the area? I have a few on a thread somewhere I will add the hotlink.

I do have a few in my modest album.

Happy new year to all,,,and start saving!

And we should nail a date soon.
Good Idea. Anyone have any ideas?
July or August is what we are shooting for. If we have enough confirmed people for camping, we can look at booking a group site...but that has to be done well in advance. If we don't book a site, we could find find individual camp sites...but then we may have trouble finding enough, if we have a lot of people camping.

There are plenty of hotel/motels in Banff and Jasper...I'm not sure how busy they are in the middle of summer...but it shouldn't be a problem...especially if you book early. I guess we would have to get a plan in place...so that people can start to make plans.

It might make sense to have a 'base camp' or starting area, where we could all meet...and then make day trips out from there. I don't have too many ideas on what locations we will want to make the trips too...but I'm sure that we can come up with something.

All the way from England :shock: We would love you have you :thumbup:

Jasper is such a nice place. I'm so in for this. It's not to far from me. I'll just drive up...probably a good 8 hour drive but hey.

It's a very nice drive though...I've driven through these mountains many, many times and I always love it.

We are going to try to nail down a date soon...so that people can start to make arrangements.

It totally is. I enjoy driving north so much. I use to live up in Prince George and went to Jasper/Edmonton (oh, I guess thats where you are...) many of times. It's a great area.

OK...I had a look at the calender and I'm thinking around the week of July 22-28.

The 21st is a Saturday, so that might be a good first day and that gives people a weekend. If people can or want to stay the rest of the week...that would be cool. Or if it works out better, we could meet on Monday the 23rd and include the weekend of the 28th & 29th.

I'm sure people could even make a day trip from Calgary...but I'm thinking that the best times will be around sunrise and sunset...so staying in the area would be a big advantage.

It has been suggested that we pick a central location (between Banff and Jasper). That way we are roughly within a 3 hour drive of a good number of different areas. There is certainly plenty of camping/accommodations around the David Thomson Highway between Nordegg and the Icefields Parkway.

I plan to be tenting...so with the number of avaliable camp sites in the general area...there shouldn't be a problem. If anyone wants to stay in a hotel/motel or even a cabin...you might want to book ahead of time. Also, I found that it can be a good idea, when camping, that a number of people can 'share or split' a hotel/motel room. A few people can sleep there...but anyone would be able to shower/clean up there...and you can also steal ice for your coolers. :D

I had a quick look at the David Thomson Resort...which has several different types of accommodation.

If we have enough people wanting to camp, we can book a group camp site somewhere. This usually has to be done well ahead of time...and requires a deposit...so we would really have to have some solid confirmations.

Does this work for everyone? or anyone? I'd like to accommodate as many of us as possible and I'd like to have some solid dates so that people can start to plan.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks so much Mike for taking the initiative on this one. If I don't get back to this thread today, I will by the weekend. (It's diploma season unfortunately)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back