Rocky Mountains - Alberta - Summer 2007

Hi peanuts,
I,m not going to be able to do the full week either, but am thinking of driving daily for the lake Louise and area meet, so car pooling may work?
A drive up the 93 parkway early morning, is a good spot for elk, and I know a spot where 2 black wolf have been seen. Peyto lake might be a good spot to get a sunrise series.

I could be in for a few days, Thursday to Sunday, I would head up Wed Night, I will be Driving my VW Bus, so I will be at the campground.

Mike, Give me a call this weekend and we will see if we can meet to figure something out.

For those of you contemplating camping, here is a link to arrange reservations:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/visit3_e.asp

Just choose the pccamping.ca link for phone numbers and sites in Lake Louise.

At the bottom of the page is a button for Hotel reservations in Banff & Lake Louise tourist info.

On the left side of the page is a wealth of information including maps of the area.

I will be posting a proposed itinerary for the week shortly, which will be subject to weather conditions. Bring rain gear, a hat, hiking boots, suntan lotion, and bear & mosquito repellent (Deep Woods Off).

Oh, and for those that care, I will be there! LOL

Here is a link to entrance fees to Banff park.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/tarifs-fees_E.asp?park=1

Some venues will require hiking into, ranging from a walk in the park, to a 2km scramble up the side of a mountain, so it may be good to identify a diffiuclty level, and perhaps an alternative for any who would prefer not to tackle the more demanding trails.

Thanks for the links Mike - I need to stop procrastinating and get something booked (ugh)

One month everyone!

Okay, I am attending, and I need to know approximately how many to expect so that final plans can be made. The numbers will help decide on a final itinerary and how many places we will visit. So please confirm that you will be attending. Mike is reviewing the suggested areas and I hope to post it soon. No excuses now, it is getting close.

I look forward to seeing you all!

I'm in! I actually may have a place to stay, so consider that one step closer.

Also, I should mention, I am willing to help out in any way with the planning as well. Now, I just need to start getting in some mediocre shape for a hike or two!

[FONT=&quot]I want to be there, but I need to get the dang passport requirements straighten out, the flight is booked and car is rented. [/FONT]

Would love to but unfortauntely i won't make it.
I did find some cheap prices for flights but i've also found that the airline is notorious for ditching single males on thier flights to allow others on that are a party.

I'd prefer to pay a bit more and be guaranteed a seat and enjoy the trip rather than scrimp on the tickets and lose a few days of the trip.

maybe next year............

I'm in, but just not sure if I will be able to make the whole week.

Here is the proposed agenda for the nine days beginning on Saturday, July 21, 2007:

Saturday @ 8:00 am meet at parking lot in Lake Louise Shopping Centre and head to Lake Louise for morning light shot, followed by Moraine Lake shot at 10:30 am. Have lunch in Lake Louise and then go to Natural Bridge, Emerald Lake, and Takakkaw Falls in BC for afternoon light shots.

Sunday @ 8:00 am meet in Lake Louise Shopping Centre and head to Lake Louise and hike to falls and glacier at rear of the lake. A full day of hiking and shooting, about 6 km!

Monday @ 8:00 am meet in Lake Louise Shopping Centre and head to Peyto Lake, Bow Lake, Crowfoot Glacier, and Waterfowl Lake. Go back to Lake Louise for lunch and then do the Banff Area, including Vermillion Lakes, Two Jacks Lake, Johnston Lake, and Lake Minne****a. Proceed back to Lake Louise via 1A highway looking for elk, bear, birds, and wolves.

Tuesday - Shift to Canmore and do Spray Lakes early in morning. Sunrise is around 6:00 am and the mountains will be highlighted by orange colours. Afternoon do Bow River, Hoodoos, and coal mine areas.

Wednesday - Same as Tuesday but we do Highway 40 in Kananaskis Country including the Kananaskis Lakes area instead. Rest in afternoon. Maybe Hot Springs! Bring a bathing suit!

Thursday - Move to Jasper, and do Mistaya Creek, Columbia Icefields, Sunwapta Falls, Athabasca Falls and scenery along the way. LOTS of mountains and scenery!

Friday - Meet in front of Train Station in Jasper @ 6:00 am and do Patricia and Pyramid Lake in early morning light. After lunch do elk and wildlife along highway 16 and finally Lac Beauvert and Jasper Lodge.

Saturday - Meet in front of Train Station @ 6:00 am and go to Mount Edith Cavell. Hike to glacier at back of lake.

Sunday - Do Maligne Lake and Spirit Island. Cruise required.

These are all subject to weather and it may require a shift of itinerary to accommodate the groups wishes.

This is a full nine days of action, so bring lots of memory chips and if possible laptops or external hard drives. You will need it. Bring spare batteries as well.

I will see everyone at the Lake Louise Shopping Centre at 8:00 am on the 21st. I guarantee that you will not be disappointed with this tour.

Oh yeah, almost forgot! Bring money! LOL

Many thanks to Jack Lumber, and Big Mike for their input and suggestions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back