Rolleicord DBP VB help

Danny_511

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Me and my mom bought a rolleicord and a Seagull medium format camera at an auction today. We're looking to resell them but im not sure how to fire the shutter on them. Are there any things I need to test before sale? The optics are clean and the body is in excellent condition for both cameras.

What percentage of the sale are you offering for our helping you in your business venture?

Hint: This is a forum for camera collecting.

I get the feeling that you and your Mom are trying to make ends meet and make a little extra cash by spending a lot of time at yard sales and estate sales. "Flipping" cameras on Ebay. It'e been a long time since I've had to do anything like that to put Peanut Butter on the table. Carter was President. I basically sell gear to pay for something that I could not otherwise justify spending so much money on. I spent a lot of time learning camera and lens "do-it-yourself" repair.

It is impossible to tell if a camera is working or what damage might be underneath without handling it, shooting with it, and sometimes taking it apart. You can always put it up the "I know nothing about cameras" and get bottom dollar on Ebay. My stuff tended to sell in the forums for double and triple what i paid for it as the work went into it before the sale. I never charged "top dollar", one guy "flipped" a lens that I sold him for $490 for $660 the next week, on the same forum! I had $200 into it, but spent 10 hours or so cleaning, adjusting, and modifying it to work on a Leica.

Pick up a few books on selecting, testing, and maintaining cameras. If nothing else, they tell you how to do the basic tests. Document the tests done in the sale.

"Selecting and Using Classic cameras", Michael Levy;

"Classic SLR's", Ivor Matanle

"Care and Repair of Classic Cameras", Joe Lippincott.

I get the feeling that you and your Mom are trying to make ends meet and make a little extra cash by spending a lot of time at yard sales and estate sales. "Flipping" cameras on Ebay. It'e been a long time since I've had to do anything like that to put Peanut Butter on the table. Carter was President. I basically sell gear to pay for something that I could not otherwise justify spending so much money on. I spent a lot of time learning camera and lens "do-it-yourself" repair.

It is impossible to tell if a camera is working or what damage might be underneath without handling it, shooting with it, and sometimes taking it apart. You can always put it up the "I know nothing about cameras" and get bottom dollar on Ebay. My stuff tended to sell in the forums for double and triple what i paid for it as the work went into it before the sale. I never charged "top dollar", one guy "flipped" a lens that I sold him for $490 for $660 the next week, on the same forum! I had $200 into it, but spent 10 hours or so cleaning, adjusting, and modifying it to work on a Leica.

Pick up a few books on selecting, testing, and maintaining cameras. If nothing else, they tell you how to do the basic tests. Document the tests done in the sale.

"Selecting and Using Classic cameras", Michael Levy;

"Classic SLR's", Ivor Matanle

"Care and Repair of Classic Cameras", Joe Lippincott.

We're not necessarily trying to make ends meet, but just to have some extra money around. It's not that I dont know anything about cameras, ive sold plenty of rangefinders and SLRs but I've never had an interest in TLRs so I mean...yeah lol. But thanks for the books.

What percentage of the sale are you offering for our helping you in your business venture?

Absolutely nothing because this is a forum for helping people with camera related questions. What better place to asked questions about a collectible film camera than the film photography collectors corner section? My intention was to have someone who either knew of or owned one of these cameras to simply tell me what to look for as I have no experience with TLRs and they're quite different than SLRs. Nothing more, nothing less.

Absolutely nothing because this is a forum for helping people with camera related questions. What better place to asked questions about a collectible film camera than the film photography collectors corner section? My intention was to have someone who either knew of or owned one of these cameras to simply tell me what to look for as I have no experience with TLRs and they're quite different than SLRs. Nothing more, nothing less.

In your OP you state ...

Me and my mom bought a rolleicord and a Seagull medium format camera at an auction today. We're looking to resell them ...

And, you started another thread recently along the same lines about a Canonet that you found the same way and intended to resell on eBay, asking us for advice to help you do that.

I think you've made your intentions clear and your denial makes you seem all the more dishonest about it.

Not that there's anything wrong with buying and selling old cameras -- it's just that you only seem to have the purpose of making a buck on eBay by mooching free advice here only for the purpose of resale/profit rather than this forum's actual purpose which is collecting cameras.

There are eBay forums and other forums that would be more appropriate for the questions you have regarding profiting from resale of antique cameras. Or, you can actually spend a few years collecting and using them yourself to gain your own knowledge about them.

Or, you can find another type of merchandise which has a much higher profit potential and you can learn all you need to learn in a few days to make much more than you'd ever make with cameras.

Sorry, it would be off topic for this forum to tell you what that merchandise is. :)

Last edited:

In your OP you state ...

Me and my mom bought a rolleicord and a Seagull medium format camera at an auction today. We're looking to resell them ...

And, you started another thread recently along the same lines about a Canonet that you found the same way and intended to resell on eBay, asking us for advice to help you do that.

I think you've made your intentions clear and your denial makes you seem all the more dishonest about it.

Not that there's anything wrong with buying and selling old cameras -- it's just that you only seem to have the purpose of making a buck on eBay by mooching free advice here only for the purpose of resale/profit rather than this forum's actual purpose which is collecting cameras.

There are eBay forums and other forums that would be more appropriate for the questions you have regarding profiting from resale of antique cameras. Or, you can actually spend a few years collecting and using them yourself to gain your own knowledge about them.

Or, you can find another type of merchandise which has a much higher profit potential and you can learn all you need to learn in a few days to make much more than you'd ever make with cameras.

Sorry, it would be off topic for this forum to tell you what that merchandise is. :)

Well since I refuse to go back and forth with you and continue to explain myself, ill leave it at this, if you're not gonna help, please refrain from posting. Thank you :)

^ Request denied. :)

Last edited:
If you are really going to get into business of buying and selling cameras you really should obtain material in their usage.
There is enough information on the web about how to use these older cameras.

The thing that offends is the fact you come across as not wanting to learn how to use them, or even have any experience in using the cameras ... and then just obtain information from those of us that have spent our lifetime accumulated this information and learning how to use these cameras.

As I initially stated ... there is tons of info on the web available to you before you have to ask us.

I also buy and sell, though sometimes buy to use ... I have taken the effort learned to use and refurbish these cameras.
As noted by others, you better state in your auctions that you do not know how to test, and verify the condition of your cameras to buyers.

If you are really going to get into business of buying and selling cameras you really should obtain material in their usage.
There is enough information on the web about how to use these older cameras.

The thing that offends is the fact you come across as not wanting to learn how to use them, or even have any experience in using the cameras ... and then just obtain information from those of us that have spent our lifetime accumulated this information and learning how to use these cameras.

As I initially stated ... there is tons of info on the web available to you before you have to ask us.

I also buy and sell, though sometimes buy to use ... I have taken the effort learned to use and refurbish these cameras.
As noted by others, you better state in your auctions that you do not know how to test, and verify the condition of your cameras to buyers.

Im trying to use them before I sell them because im interested in vintage cameras. Im not going into the business of it, im 16. Im interested in all cameras since photography is my job and passion. I planned running a few rolls before selling em... Me and my mom buy things for cheap and sell em for a profit so we an have a little bit of extra money. Trust me, I want to learn about them but it seems like no one here Is attempting to help. I just wanted to know what to look out for. But since it seems everyone Is getting offended, ill just get this post removed.

I got a Rolleicord not too long ago, and although I collect cameras I'm not a particular expert in either Rolleis or TLRs. But I can tell you how the shutter release on mine works.

The lever on my camera is below the bottom lens. When I'm holding it the way I would to take a picture, I move the lever to the right til it clicks into place, then move it to the left to release the shutter.

I have other cameras that have two levers, one to cock the shutter and another to release it. And I have box cameras that use one lever that you move once to cock it and move it again the same direction to release the shutter.

Hope that helps, if you have more questions post or send me a PM. I hope that you enjoy getting to try it out and maybe will get to buy your own vintage camera one of these days.

Sharon

I got a Rolleicord not too long ago, and although I collect cameras I'm not a particular expert in either Rolleis or TLRs. But I can tell you how the shutter release on mine works.

The lever on my camera is below the bottom lens. When I'm holding it the way I would to take a picture, I move the lever to the right til it clicks into place, then move it to the left to release the shutter.

I have other cameras that have two levers, one to cock the shutter and another to release it. And I have box cameras that use one lever that you move once to cock it and move it again the same direction to release the shutter.

Hope that helps, if you have more questions post or send me a PM. I hope that you enjoy getting to try it out and maybe will get to buy your own vintage camera one of these days.

Sharon

Oh my gosh...THANK YOU...finally someone helps, but yea they seem pretty cool. So far, the only vintage cameras I own are an AE1 and a Canonet GIII QL17 rangefinder. I had an original Konica autoreflex at one point

Danny, if you think going through a pile of books and picking out a couple of titles that would assist you and your Mom was not helpful- that underlines the problem that some of the members are having with you.

You do not know how to test a camera before buying it, and are buying them with the intent to sell. You can do your potential customers a favor by learning how to properly test a camera. Until then, you are like 99% of the other Ebay camera sellers- they are turning a quick buck turning over garage sale finds without testing them. I can pick up a camera for $15 and sell it for $300, been there done that. It's been properly tested. Most of the tests are done without film in the camera, which can get expensive as a test method these days.

Danny, if you think going through a pile of books and picking out a couple of titles that would assist you and your Mom was not helpful- that underlines the problem that some of the members are having with you.

You do not know how to test a camera before buying it, and are buying them with the intent to sell. You can do your potential customers a favor by learning how to properly test a camera. Until then, you are like 99% of the other Ebay camera sellers- they are turning a quick buck turning over garage sale finds without testing them. I can pick up a camera for $15 and sell it for $300, been there done that. It's been properly tested. Most of the tests are done without film in the camera, which can get expensive as a test method these days.

This is my firsr tlr, not camera in general. If it was a slr, we wouldn't have this problem. I know how to test other cameras. But as I previously stated, this is my first tlr so I asked for HELP on what to look out for so obviously im trying to learn how to test them. I didnt get these from a garage sale, I got them from an auction. They tested the camera before selling. If I saw it at a garage sale, I wouldnt have paid it any interest if only for the fact that my knowledge is in slrs amd rangefinders. Please stop making generalised assumptions.

Plus, when I DO purchase a camera, I plan on using it for a while before selling it.

Most reactions

Back