Rolleiflex - any experience?

Lol999

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.17minutes.co.uk
I'm thinking of getting a medium format camera and am considering either a Mamiya 220/330, yashica 124G or this guy http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-ROLLE...oryZ3354QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does anyone have any experience of the Rolleiflex, Mitica or anyone?
Whilst I love my F3 there are some things I'm shooting thses days, such as landscapes, where I would like some big negatives to enlarge from.

Cheers, Lol

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey there,

I own a Rollei 2.8 planar twin lens and it still works perfectily, be carefull because sometimes you can have mecanical problems with this kind of cameras and only a very few people are able (or still want) to repair them.
be sure this item is safe!

My results are equivalent to my Hasselblad 500 c/m with its 80 planar, it is just a wonderfull cam.

here are some samples (go on photography, black and white, docks pictures)

www.raphael-lacoste.com

Looks like a Rolleiflex Auto(matic). While the best picture takers, lens wise, are the Planars and the Xenotars (Schneider's version of the Planar), the Tessar and Xenar are very good as well, particularly when stopped down to 8 and above. Oherwise you might experience a bit of softness. I would definitely get this baby if the price is right, say around $130 to $150. I have one and it's a pure delight to work with it.

I have some experience of Rolleiflexes, but not of the one you have given the link to. Among the Rolleiflex TLRs I only have one each of the wide, the normal and the tele. I'd say that the most important thing when buying an older model is to check for sure that the lens is free from scratches, or that it has no more than a few light ones, often referred to as 'cleaning marks' because it sounds better than 'scratches'. A lot of the other problems can be fixed, and if you have a camera with a good lens it is likely to be a treasure that is worth fixing.

Best,
Helen

If you are going to go the Yashica rout you should know that the difference between the 124 and the 124G is that the 124 has metal winding gears as opposed to the 124G's plastic and the 124G has gold contacts for the battery (hence the G) other than that they are the same camera.

I have one of each and use the 124. I bought a Rollie once but the cleaning marks turned out to be a large chip missing from the taking lens- other than that is was a really nice camera.

Most reactions

Back