Rolleiflex Automat ground glass brightness

ryunin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.romanvalekphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought my first rollei on ebay last week and i love it. I only have one big dilemma about its ground glass quality. Some friends say that it is not bright enough and that I could get a super bright ground glass. BUT it would be more difficult to focus with it.

My question: Do rolleiflex ground glasses lose its original brightness over time? Mine is from cca 1950. If they do, is it possible to get the original brightness without compromising the focusing quality? Would it be possible to somehow clean the mirror or the glass to achieve the original brightness? I kind of like the idea of restoring to get the original condition of the camera rather than upgrading it.

What would you recommend? Thanks.

No, groundglasses do not lose brightness over time. The MIRROR might lose a small amount of its reflectance potential over the years due to tarnishing of the silver, but I expect that would be pretty minimal,really. I suppose it is possible that the camera's focusing screen could be dirty, and covered with a fine film of accumulated airborne gunk....cigarette smoke, cooking oil, air pollution,etc. Depends on how and where it was stored. I suspect you could buy a Beattie IntenScreen for it, and that it would indeed be a "brighter" viewfinder screen than the original one. Befoe buying an aftermarket screen, I'd be very tempted to clean the top and bottom sides of the original finder screen.

No, groundglasses do not lose brightness over time. The MIRROR might lose a small amount of its reflectance potential over the years due to tarnishing of the silver, but I expect that would be pretty minimal,really. I suppose it is possible that the camera's focusing screen could be dirty, and covered with a fine film of accumulated airborne gunk....cigarette smoke, cooking oil, air pollution,etc. Depends on how and where it was stored. I suspect you could buy a Beattie IntenScreen for it, and that it would indeed be a "brighter" viewfinder screen than the original one. Befoe buying an aftermarket screen, I'd be very tempted to clean the top and bottom sides of the original finder screen.

Thank you. I will have it all cleaned first and will see what happens. I'd like to keep the original ground glass. I wonder why so many ppl go for the new bright ones although they lose the focusing quality and "authentic" condition of their cameras. But I can imagine how easier it is to compose into frames with bright screens.

I cleaned mine as best I could with no success. I got a Beattie Intensscreen at B&H and it's nice and bright, but I hear that the Maxwell screens "pop" into focus really well. You'll need to have it installed, as it will alter the focus somewhat. Harry Fleenor at Oceanside Camera Repair does good work and carries the Maxwell screens, and works only on Rolleis (I think). Last I looked, he was 12 weeks out. Enjoy that camera. Harry's over-hauling mine now, and it's due any day. Can't wait!

Most reactions

Back