Rome- what lenses should I use

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by tynio, Sep 9, 2005.

1. tynio

tynio TPF Noob!

Hi,

I'm going to Rome next week and hope to get some nice architecture shots. Im using canon digital rebel, lens: canon 17-40L and sigma 70-300. I was wandering if I need another lens, for ex. 28-135?

thanks in advance

tynio

2. ang

ang TPF Noob!

Tynio,

Went to Italy this summer for two weeks. I used a 28-90 and 70-300. Never felt like I needed another lens.

If its Architecture you're looking for, Italy is the place. Incredible. I don't think there's a flat face on any building in the country. If you get a nice Sunday morning, take your camera and a few rolls of film at day break--very few people outside at the tourist areas at that time.

Have a good time

3. ajmall

ajmall TPF Noob!

i went recently too, used a Nikon D70s with 70-200mm F2.8, 18-70 kit lens and 15mm F2.8 fish eye. i used the 200mm more than i expected mainly for DOF purposes

4. DIRT

DIRT TPF Noob!

Everyone always asks what lens for a trip to wherever but I feel that is kinda like asking "im going fishing in the pacific ocean, which boat should I use?" I think that if you want to get the best of your experience you should challenge yourself and bring one lens, that way your not gonna fumble with gear or always think maybey I should use this other lens. I went on a road trip all the way from so-cal to washington state and only took my 50mm lens. I found that by only bringing one lens My camera was always ready for the shot and if it was a spur of the moment thing I was able to quickly shoot it. Im sorry if I am sounding like a jerk, Maybey you should bring a view camera for all the architecture if you are not gonna be rushed. Good luck.

5. ang

ang TPF Noob!

I have to agree with DIRT, try to carry least amount of equipment possible each day you go out. Tourist areas get crowded, its hard to set up a tripod or put down a camera bag and feel safe about it.

6. ajmall

ajmall TPF Noob!

good point, i did "faff" around a bit on some shots but I knew I would be doing that before i went away. when i was in the vatican and other places indoors my fish eye would be the lens of choice to get close ups and good for low light with it's wide aperture. if i could only take one lens with me i would take a 50mm like DIRT did