Roommate Rant #2

vonDrehle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well this is the second roommate rant I will be posting. The on going charades include:
1. Staying up till about 3 every night and always having light on. He is also the loudest typer alive. I expected to have a roommate that stayed up every night but choosing to leave light on even when he is not in the room and napping everyday (next point) is starting to get very annoying.

2. Taking a nap after his first class every day and getting back up around 1:30 or 2. Not that I don’t mind having to be quiet and sit in the dark the middle of every day, would just be nice to watch the 45min I have between my classes.

3. Hanging his coats on a thing that blocks my view of the tv forcing me to move them whenever I want to watch. He is currently out wearing the one that sits to the right of the one in the picture.
TV.jpg

4. Sitting in middle of room about 1 foot from me and blocking me from getting to my other stuff, as well as the futon. (Picture is of my chair where he puts it. I could see the marks in the carpet where the exact spot was. That is my desk on the right.
Chair.jpg

5. Leaving door open while I try to sleep at 1 in the morning both letting much extra light in and allowing me to be woken up by people talking in hall. Was not happy because I had major test next day.

6. “Popping” his clothes every Sunday night when he gets back from home. What I mean by popping is they are folded in his bag and he takes them and “pops” them to straighten them out. This is normally at around midnight and normally 3ft from my head. He does not do his own laundry and has YET to wash or change the sheets on his bed. School started August 22nd.

7. Printing 20 page things at 1:33 at night. The room is roughly 150sq ft, the printer is very loud. And it is not like he is working on other homework and is just getting to printing, he is normally playing video games in one way or the other. I mean why not do your homework in the early evening and then play games later?

8. He also is very nosey. I catch him starring at my computer all the time. He doesn’t realize that peripheral vision allows me to notice him watching me while I watch tv. Also while I have been talking to friends on webcam I have been told he was actually reading what was on my screen. Obviously not realize I was talking on webcam which isn’t exactly hard to figure out.

And all this happens when I am in the room which is normally only at night, given the weather is nice. So as you can imagine the rainy days really suck. I’m normally either playing disc golf, in class, or sitting outside somewhere avoiding coming back to the room during the day.

Now be honest is this normal stuff that people do and I am being too critical?

No, you're not too critical. If anything, you are too patient. Your roommate is being very inconsiderate and selfish. Any chance to get rid of him?

The biggest thing that caught my attention..while you're asleep - AT NIGHT - he's up and about making all kinds of noise, leaving the door open, etc. But you have to be quiet and sit in the dark while he naps during the day?!

Are there any non-carpeted floors? Put butter on them before you go to bed and let him fall a few times. Idea courtesy of break.com: click here. (May not be work safe - my sound is off since I'm at work!)

I was always lucky back when I had to live the dorm life. My first roomate (which I only had for a few days) sucked, but other than him, I always made good friends with my roomate.

Confront him. If that doenst work, extend him the courtesy he does for you. If thats not your style, find one of your friends to bunk with (the ladies dorm is always a plus lol). The upside is that the semester is almost over, and you should be able to find a new roomate. If your a sophmore you should be able to worm your way out of the 2 year on campus rule. Me and some buds got a place after only 2 semesters on campus. They make it sound like you can only get out of the dorms after 2 years, but a letter from your folks should easily sway them. After all, its your tuition they are after, not your well being.

Guess who is sleeping...

And there is a small non carpeted section right in front of our door, but then there is the problem of getting out myself. And I know I would forget in the middle of the night when I have to go to the bathroom. I've confronted him on some things I am just astonished I have to confront him about others. Things that I thought would be common courtesy. But after the 2nd week I put in to transfer into a bigger dorm and get a new roommate so I only have to deal with him now a month and a half. Another thing I forgot to mention was how he is always watching tv when I get in the room around 6 or 7. At the beginning of the year he said he didn't watch tv so he didn't chip in for the cable. I talked to my parents and they said he might have a money problem. Now if someone doesn't have the money to chip in for cable should they be buying new video games every week?

Wòw. The Joy of a roomate. You have been very understanding. Môre so than i could have been.

I like the butter idea. And you shouldnt sit in the dark while hê sleeps! Turn every light and radio on :)

Just butter the floor during his nap..then leave right away. That way you can't forget. Of course, you risk forgetting when you come back, or worse..he may have a little something prepared for you. :D

oh, i was thinking he was the party animal type, but he's actually the "hole himself in the room day and night type". I bet he keeps the blinds shut during the day and it feels like a cave in there. I had a friend that had a roomate like that. He would just walk in, open the blinds up, slide open the window and let sun in. Then he would invite several buds to come over and play guitar or something. Basically just ignoring the bum that slept all day. However, I get the feeling your only way out is to just find a new roomie

He is the stay in the room all day type during the day, but leaves and goes places at 11:30 at night. There isn't really anything I can do about it other than confront him since it is also his room. But yes I keep the blinds on my side of the room open all the time.

You must have the patience of a saint. :bigangel:

I'd be straight at him with "what the fcuk are you doing?" backed up with something like "What are you? 12 years old or something? I've got siht to do during the day so knock it off or else fcukoff and live somewhere else!"

I'm mild, you should try disturbing my woman when she's sleeping. I think in this case she'd whack him about the head with a frying pan and say "I don't want to tell you again". She has no sleep problems! :badangel:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back