Rotting Ferry

nynfortoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went for a ride up to Mostyn, North Wales, a couple of weeks ago now, specifically to take some shots of the old Duke of Lancaster passenger ferry which has been sat there rotting since the 80s now.

I've passed this ship hundreds of times in the past on my way into Wales, but only recently had the idea, inclination and means to go there and explore.

Quite a creepy place, I have to admit. The boat isn't accessible, but makeshift gangways have been erected, so I presume people have been inside recently.

I explored up to the right on the other side of the dock, spotting some large rocks I thought would make a brilliant setting to compose the ship on top of, giving the impression of an unfortunate crash, rather than the slightly-more-boring concreted-in real version of events.

Taken at f/16 at 1/15sec on a 40D with a 17-55mm lens at 20mm, ISO 100 on a 055XPROB tripod.

Hope you enjoy it. It was certainly an interesting sight and experience for me.

2595178790_889a59cb62_o.jpg

A very nice image, excellent composition. My only comment would be that's a little dark in spots; I would like to see more detail in the rocks, and the hull of the ship 1-2 stops brighter, but a really captivating image nonetheless!

A very nice image, excellent composition. My only comment would be that's a little dark in spots; I would like to see more detail in the rocks, and the hull of the ship 1-2 stops brighter, but a really captivating image nonetheless!

Thanks, tirediron :)

It's dark on this (work) computer, too, though it's fine at home. I need to calibrate my monitor; I have a Spyder2 in the mail, though, so hopefully I'll be able to judge better soon. I'll correct it in a few days if it's dark on my newly calibrated screen.

Cheers for the feedback.

Okay, I've had a go at brushing in more detail (I bracketed my exposures since I was using a tripod for this one) and brought in some detail in the rocks and ship.

How's this?

rockbound2.jpg

I like that second image much better!
the first one was good... the second I think is great!
good job!!

I like the muted tones on the first, but I agree that the hull of the boat looks better processed brighter in the second. Nice job!

Thanks, guys. That really means a lot to me that you've taken the time to post your thoughts :)

So, unanimous votes for the second shot then. Brilliant.

I like the second shot a lot, good work!

Most reactions

Back