Royal Flush

ajmall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photodrew.co.uk
D70s
24mm Macro F3 (it's a 2.8 lens but won't let me shoot on that for some reason!)
ISO 400

pokercards.jpg

Do you think there is too much bokeh? The picture has been used for an advert for a poker society at my university. The bokeh makes the text easier to read (not added here) but I'd like feedback on just the photo. I shot this on RAW/NEF originally, played with a few settings like adding a vignette. Also, is the cloth convincing? It's actually green card! Thanks

I like it, i like it very much. But perhaps if the dof allowed to have the whole first card in focus it would be better.
but other than that, i think it's a cool shot, and the cloth is convincing. I love the lighting too... it gives that intimate poker room atmosphere :thumbup:

yah, i think the blur started too soon, try makin the first card fully visible, the second card a little more burry, then do more as you go.

i agree but it looks realy good

I cant tell that its a royal flush, just that there is an ace. If its important to you that it be a royal flush, id say change the dof. If not, i think it also works this way as just an ace, and some other cards.

_KA

lol, I just noticed your hand has 8 cards... but i guess that's possible in other kinds of poker (i always play texas hold'em, lol).
Then again, 5 cards wouldn't be enough for the picture. The comp is really well done here :thumbsup:

It does look that way, doesn't it. Looking at the lower left corners, there's only five. I think some of the face is looking like a separate card. Neat.

I agree that if you want it identified as a royal flush, more DOF would be good. It's a cool pic as it is, though.

thanks for the critique. i don't often post here.

i can easily shoot it again so i'll give it another go on a smaller aperture and hopefully have enough light for a reasonable shutter speed. and yes, interesting that it looks like 8 cards!

Haha, there are so many people from be-mag on here! It's a nice photo, but I agree with the others that it needs a tiny bit more depth of field.

well... maybe you'd try converting it to black and white and adding more contrast? because I'm not really a fan of this green background

Most reactions

Back