Royalty Free Music-Do I need it?

Aayria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been making extra adjustments to my website, and finally have it to a point where I'm really happy with it. I would really like to include, in addition to the slideshows in the portfolio section, a way to share two "full set" videos I put together recently.
When I made the videos, I set them to music, put them on DvD's that could be viewed like a regular movie in any DvD player, and gave them as gifts to the families as a "thank you" for letting me practice and learn as a photographer with them.

The only thing I'm not sure about, was that I set them to music I just had on my iTunes, since it wasn't being sold or anything of that sort I didn't think it would be an issue.

But now that I've gone into buisiness, I'm worried about making future slideshows, and I'm also not sure if it would be legal for me to display the two movies I already put together, since they would essentially serve as marketing tools for me.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? I've heard the term "royalty free music" tossed around, and wondered if that was something I need to look into... Or if it's alright for me to continue making slide shows set to whatever music I'd like?

I am also a musician- it was what I studied in college, and my first love before photography. If need be, I could look into composing my own music as an extra for clients who might be interested.

Anyway, thoughts? Experience? I've been very careful so far about doing things the right way, I don't want to do anything that would be unprofessional. Thanks!

Oh- If you are wondering about the videos, they are posted on my blog and on my facebook page (both are linked under the lifestyle section of my website. ) I may end up taking them down from there, if the music is an issue though. I posted them before I had gone into buisiness at all. The first is of my friend's new baby- from her maternity session, his newborn shoot, and his baptism. The second is the full set of images from the first Quinceanera I was asked to shoot.

Think of it like this: how would you like someone using your image to make their music shows? It's the ethical and legal choice to use royalty-free or pay to use music if it's not royalty free.

Think of it like this: how would you like someone using your image to make their music shows? It's the ethical and legal choice to use royalty-free or pay to use music if it's not royalty free.

That's kind of what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. Is it considered paying for the music if I've purchased the CD, or is this something else entirely?

I've never done it before, but it is a different process to license music for commercial usage. I'm sure there's guides/resources online or you could contact the companies that hold the copyright.

I went ahead and took down the videos from my facebook page and blog for now. I made them well before I had gone into buisiness as free gifts for my friends, and put together the facebook page/blog as a way to share my photography with friends and family. Now that it's linked on my buisiness website, though, I think it's probably best to take them down.

Anybody recommend good places for royalty free music? Or better, how do I know for sure that the music I'm getting is in fact royalty free? (yes, I know.. Google is my friend, but so are you guys right!? =P )

Royalty-free doesn't mean you don't have to pay for it. It means you only have to pay once.

Royalty-free doesn't mean you don't have to pay for it. It means you only have to pay once.

Important clarification, thank you!

Is there such a thing as free usable music at all then? Composing my own is sounding more and more appealing... Or maybe at the very least performing/recording my own. I don't think I would need to pay to hash out some vivaldi or debussy on the violin/piano and set it to some slide shows. Or maybe I'm wrong again ><

There is such a thing as "free music", but Id shy away from it. Most of it is not of very good quality and in my opinion, very cheesy.

I use a site called targetmarketmusic.com . They dont have a huge selection, but what they do have is of high quality and not very expensive.

Good luck and happy shooting. :)

The issue of using music without incurring royalties is somewhat complex. For instance, if you have a Christmas display set to music, and you're using an FM transmitter, as long as the transmission range is, I believe, 500' or less, you can legally broadcast any music without having to pay royalties. That particular scenario falls under "Fair Use". Fair Use also covers using copyrighted material for non-profit, education, etc. The laws regarding music are very convoluted, and it's really only the lawyers who understand them. And we haven't even broached the subject of Public Domain! If you are using the music on a website that's offering "for pay services", I'd say you did the smart thing in removing it, even though the slideshow was created originally as a not for profit gift. Really, you would need to talk to a lawyer who handles Intellectual Property. There are other cases where copyrighted music can be used royalty free, but I don't think your example is one of them.

Haha.. Yay for old threads!

Just for reference a great site I came across, although I haven't needed to use it yet, is "YouLiscence.com"

If you happen by, check out an artist named "Adrina Thorpe." Her music is beautiful.

Most reactions

Back