Rue- A Bearded Portrait at Sunset

Nice as always, though the color of his beard, the color of his shirt, the color of the wheat... there are a lot of places for the eyes to get lost. Possibly intentional, especially seems unlikely knowing it's your shot, but those are the areas where I feel the shot comes up a little short.

I wonder if you dont wanna bring out the highlights [and iris] on his eyes just at touch?

Quickly did this:

upload_2016-4-27_7-49-49.png

Tried to pull the color out of his eyes a bit so you could see his pupils then increased the highlight a touch.

Last edited:
Excellent shot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nice as always, though the color of his beard, the color of his shirt, the color of the wheat... there are a lot of places for the eyes to get lost. Possibly intentional, especially seems unlikely knowing it's your shot, but those are the areas where I feel the shot comes up a little short.
Thanks for the feedback. I was going for a warmer palette than my usual style with this shoot. I like the color tones.
I wonder if you dont wanna bring out the highlights [and iris] on his eyes just at touch?
I did some dodging in the highlights and the iris. I played around with the opacity of my dodge layer and found that anything more intense than this seemed to look over-edited to me, and I'm trying to go for a much more subtle effect with my edits lately.
This should show the difference: http://orig08.deviantart.net/bf89/f/2016/118/7/8/_mg_2151_1_by_danostergren-da0iipo.jpg

Yeah, I like the color tones as well. Very much. Just seems like they lead to things blending in a bit more than I'd like, personally.

I really like it just the way it is.

(I shoot two male models yesterday and it went ok, I think, I didn't have time to go trough the pictures on monitor :) can't wait to start editing but at the same time I'm nervous about retouching men...hm... we'll see soon)

(I shoot two male models yesterday and it went ok, I think, I didn't have time to go trough the pictures on monitor :) can't wait to start editing but at the same time I'm nervous about retouching men...hm... we'll see soon)
With men you have to be really careful about skin retouching. If anything, do some very light dodging only to soften skin gradients just a little bit, and I wouldn't recommend contouring them too much either. Don't get rid of pores, and leave imperfections. It gets to a certain point where too much perfecting on a man's face makes it look like he's wearing makeup, and you usually want to avoid that. I'm still trying to find a good middle point for giving men a retouched look without going too far; sometimes I do it well, and then other times I waaaay overdo it and don't realize it because I've been staring at it for way too long trying to make it look perfect.

Beautiful portrait, and I also like it exactly as presented. That golden light is gorgeous, but also tricky!

And I laughed out loud at the *locked out of the truck* story; hilarious visual! :) These things happen.

Wonderful portrait and hilarious story. Glad you were able to get back into the truck. Just FYI, I carry either a fold-able truncheon or knife in my purse too.

With men you have to be really careful about skin retouching. If anything, do some very light dodging only to soften skin gradients just a little bit, and I wouldn't recommend contouring them too much either. Don't get rid of pores, and leave imperfections. It gets to a certain point where too much perfecting on a man's face makes it look like he's wearing makeup, and you usually want to avoid that. I'm still trying to find a good middle point for giving men a retouched look without going too far; sometimes I do it well, and then other times I waaaay overdo it and don't realize it because I've been staring at it for way too long trying to make it look perfect.

Wood carving is the same way. A male face is easier to carve, because is you slip and put a nick in it or something, it adds character. but when carving a female face you want it perfectly smooth, and you can't slipp! :)

The photo looks great to me! :)
And the story is really funny!!!:biglaugh:
What kind of pickup do you have? Because that seemed really easy to pick, glad it worked though. I practice throwing knives a lot, and it is a fun hobby. A throwing knife is a great weapon to carey in a purse, because of they are small and slim. I carry lockpicks, they are just something handy to have. :)

yeah... I've just edited my first image... It's "safe" not much retouching, that's why I choose it

I count on a c&c wen I post a portrait :)

yeah... I've just edited my first image... It's "safe" not much retouching, that's why I choose it

Did you post it yet? I'd be more than happy to give you some feedback.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back