Rule of Thirds

Technically correct. The face is in about where the first horizontal and first vertical line would meet.

You have it, and it is no harder than that.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but can't you also do a rule of thirds horizontally? I'm not at my PC so I don't have any example pics, but say I shot a photo of a lake and the reflection in the water, and instead of putting the horizon right in the middle, I put it nearer to the top (to show more water) or toward the top (to show more sky). That counts as Rule of Thirds as well, right?

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but can't you also do a rule of thirds horizontally?

You are wrong... lol, I am just kidding.

There are 4 areas where the lines intersect. Place the center of your subject in any of these 4 areas, and you are following the rule of thirds.

Remember... rules are made to be broken sometimes. :)

Don't get your knickers in a twist about the "Rule of Thirds". I and a few others prefer to refer to it as an "Appeal of Thirds". Photos can become much more appealing when applying this principle, but it does not command dominion.

Symmetry can be quite appealing as well.
Sunset-1.jpg

Sabbath, nice pic... and those are some big critters! :lol:

Alright I tried to do a little Mickey Mouse thing, how does this look?

014.jpg

Someone's drinking Charm Soju...whyohwhyohwhyohwhy? I'm pretty sure soju violates all the rules, including the rule of thirds. :puke-rig:

and yes you can use 1/3rd horizonaly

This may sound dumber than hell, but I'm going to say it anyways cause it seems to be true.

I'm sitting here at school in the library and basically it's set up with desks that have like, the privacy sides, and then has a little shelf, I suppose to put books on.

Well anyways, they have a little like, holder that says the events on it for this month here, and it was in the middle, and you could see how it kinda took away from the shelf, made it look smaller, but when I put it in the corner, it gave the shelf a lot more room, even though it's pretty much the same.

Rule of Thirds has taken over me!

Your letting this concept become much more confusinhg than it should be. Simply imagine a tic tac toe board on your frame. The main subject should be roughly where any of the lines intersect. If you shooting a landscape with no definitive subject aside from the landscape make sure the horizon does not cut the frame dierectly in half. Do not think this "rule" is all or nothing though sometimes a subject framed in the center of a shot works best sometimes a horizon cutting a frame in half works best, its all about composition.

I just wanted to thank everyone for this thread. I am a total newb still and this has helped me understand the "Rule of Thirds". Thank you!

Most reactions

Back