Rule of thirds

eccs19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I understand the rule of thirds, and I know there are always exceptions to the rules. I'm just trying to get my head around how rule of thirds applies to portrait pictures. I can see one direction, but the other, not sure. Always see portrait pictures centered. Anyone have any good examples I could see? I'm interested to see how it's normally handled.

thanks!

You can centre the person along the horizontal which should look ok providing you are planning to fill most of the frame. Put the subjects eyes on the top 'third' line. Level the tip of their nose with the bottom of their ears. After, have them do the funky chicken. lol.

The horizontal part I understand. Eyes basically on the top third line, just not sure about the vertical. Most that I see (including the example) mostly seem centered. The example is a little off to the side, but not what I would think of as being a third.

The rule of thirds is a guideline. You don't necessarily have to be using all of the lines to make a good picture. People routinely throw out one of the verticals and one of the horizontals and it still 'obeys' the rule.

Yea but, I would say my wife took that pic as the gilrs head is cut off. ;)

If that image had that girl's head full on, she'd look like a conehead :) At least in my cropping experiments, I think you can get away with cropping off part of the top of the head, but chins almost always need to be up in the frame a ways.

Yea but, I would say my wife took that pic as the gilrs head is cut off. ;)

That doesnt necessarily mean its not an excellent picture. Ive seen lots of close up shots that cut off the forehead to zoom in on the eyes. So crisp n clear.

rotate the person so you can't see one of their ears, just slightly, so it's just out of sight and keep their eyes on the line that divides the top third. It's pretty standard portrait junk. Make sure you are using like an 85 or 135 lens (so there isn't any unflattering distortion) and a bright aperture, and focus on the eyes.

Make sure you are using like an 85 or 135 lens (so there isn't any unflattering distortion)...

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can you elaborate on this please? I'm not sure what kind of distortion you're talking about. How would using an 85 or 135 differ from using say a 50 (other than shooting distance)?

Last edited:
Make sure you are using like an 85 or 135 lens (so there isn't any unflattering distortion)...quote]

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but can you elaborate on this please? I'm not sure what kind of distortion you're talking about. How would using an 85 or 135 differ from using say a 50 (other than shooting distance)?

Hijack away. I'm interested to know this also. :D Examples would be golden!

Make sure you are using like an 85 or 135 lens (so there isn't any unflattering distortion)...quote]

I think what he/she means is to use a prime to avoid any barrel or pincushion distortion that can occur with a zoom lens. A 50mm would be fine as well.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back