rule of thirds

wysoczanski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
now Im not sure if im understanding rule or law of thirds...can you guys help me out here.... i feel like these pics may be if not close to rule of thirds all help appreciated...as i am a noob thanks :D C&C

3565327932_f6e5fc4490.jpg

3565326704_f47272f198.jpg

3565326926_940d21075b.jpg

i know i post a lot of pics of frogs but thats what i got to work with and thats what ill post thanks for all help :D

Yes, you're understanding it correctly. Now that you've certifiably learned the rule of thirds you can stop caring about it. ;)

It looks to me like you are understanding it. The rule of thirds is that the main focal point of the photo should be placed along one of the lines dividing the photo in thirds, or at the intersection of two of those lines.

All of your photos more or less follow this rule.

Ya I would say you know what your doing. I dont like calling it the "rule" of thirds... more like the guideline of thirds if you ask me :)

sweeet thanks guys :D thats one accomplishment i learned this weekend soo happy now...wats next lol :D thanks again

What's next?

Learning when & why you can completely ignore this rule. That might prove more difficult.

What's next?

Learning when & why you can completely ignore this rule. That might prove more difficult.
care to elaborate? as a noob my self,i study these post,all info is greatly appreciated

Well, you know - all rules are made to be broken.

There are times when there are more important things than the rule of thirds. Somtimes symmetry is more important, for example.

Think of the rule of thirds as an aide to composition- it helps, but you don't have to use it every time.

I agree I would pull in tighter on the frog, he looks like he might smile for you ;-)

I agree with the others - the "rules" of composition are not hard fast rules they are aids for composing a shot. There are times when you want the subject dead centre - times when your going to break the rules - the key part is learning the rule = understanding when it is and is not good to use and then making the right choice in the field.

Also remember - especaily in something like wildlife - there will be times when your subject is going to be doing a lot of control of how you shoot - a fast moving subject will demand AF and unless its a bird in clear skies that means your centre point - of course there you are limited in how you can compose - but you can always use cropping to good effect after.

sweeet thanks guys :D thats one accomplishment i learned this weekend soo happy now...wats next lol :D thanks again

Next is to continue to develop a feel for interesting composition, where it comes natural and automatic to you. Buy a book on composition and give it a good read. There's a lot more to it than the rule of thirds.

I agree with the others - the "rules" of composition are not hard fast rules they are aids for composing a shot. There are times when you want the subject dead centre - times when your going to break the rules - the key part is learning the rule = understanding when it is and is not good to use and then making the right choice in the field.

Also remember - especaily in something like wildlife - there will be times when your subject is going to be doing a lot of control of how you shoot - a fast moving subject will demand AF and unless its a bird in clear skies that means your centre point - of course there you are limited in how you can compose - but you can always use cropping to good effect after.

I agree with the second paragraph. The photographer is somewhat limited by what is in the scene and what he/she does and does not want in the shot, as well as the camera position which is not always flexible either.

Nevertheless, I cannot think of a time when the rules should be ignored, since they contribute to a more effective picture and that is the bottom line.

skieur

-
I agree with the second paragraph. The photographer is somewhat limited by what is in the scene and what he/she does and does not want in the shot, as well as the camera position which is not always flexible either.

Nevertheless, I cannot think of a time when the rules should be ignored, since they contribute to a more effective picture and that is the bottom line.

skieur

In wildlife the "golden rule" is eyes in focus - that ruleI think it almost unbreakable - unless you go for a back end view of the animal I really can't think how to get a shot to work with that failling.
I think there are cases, but as you say its not easy to think of them - and I think many are just the result of the limitations of gear, subject, lighting and shooter.

Now try the golden section!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back