rule of thirds

-faith-

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
please may some one exsplain this rule to me and how i can use it in taking photos
thank u

Well, just look at your avatar. Imagine it split up into 3 vertical parts. The building is in the right third of the frame and the sun is in the center. You can also divide it up horizontally.

Play Noughts and crosses on your view finder. Where the lines on the board intersect, if you place the main elements of your image on one (or more ) of these intersections it adds power to the element . and balance to the image. This also applies to the vertical plane the horizontal plane and the depth plane (So really it is the rule of nineths....) hope this helped. any probs get back to me I will try to help out.

P.S. you say you have a 400D (Across the pond it is a Rebel XTi). (so have I) so I assume that Portsmouth is in Hampshire, NOT New Hampshire. I lived in Gosport for 7 years and never had so much fun in all my life...

Once you fully understand the rule of thirds and have taken hundreds of photos with it in mind and have made your eye look for it in every printed image - forget it.

A 'viewer' can help you to compose a scene.

A simple piece of opaque cardboard, say 4" x 6", with a rectangular cutout will serve. Make the ratio of the cutout identical to your film/sensor format. Then glue four thin wires in position to divide the cutout area into 9 equal rectangles [rule of thirds].

Total cost? Small. Usefulness? Large.

WOW last two... ?

"Once you fully understand the rule of thirds and have taken hundreds of photos with it in mind and have made your eye look for it in every printed image - forget it."

I think I know what you are saying... That once you understand the rules you will know when and how to break them.... am I right? (they are guides really not real rules)

"A 'viewer' can help you to compose a scene.

A simple piece of opaque cardboard, say 4" x 6", with a rectangular cutout will serve. Make the ratio of the cutout identical to your film/sensor format. Then glue four thin wires in position to divide the cutout area into 9 equal rectangles [rule of thirds].

Total cost? Small. Usefulness? Large."

I am sure that this is effective. But in my experience peoples eyes / brain combo are quite good at trisecting (cutting into three) views. I would imagine that this is REALLY fiddly. Of course, I have not tried it, so I may be wrong.....
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has done this as to whether it was a useful training aid..

The 'viewer' does two things. Perhaps the more important is to put a frame around a scene. The 'rule of thirds' lines are a useful addition.

Once you fully understand the rule of thirds and have taken hundreds of photos with it in mind and have made your eye look for it in every printed image - forget it.

LOL so true... I actually got a pic in NYC this weekend with the horizon going RIGHT through the center. I probably scratched my head for 10 minutes and felt like I "messed up" but when I visualize it using the Rule of 3rds it just doesn't work. I either lose too much of the city skyline or too much of the sky.

These rules are awesome guidlines and will work for most of your pics but just keep in mind that the most important thing is to truly understand how and why the rule works... then you'll know when to break it and when to follow it.

A technique you can use to practice this rule (if you have a P&S with an live preview LCD on the back... as most if not all do) is to measure the LCD in 3rd and when you have a rough estimate of the size of the center area cut out the sticky part of a Post-It note and cover up that portion of the LCD. When you frame your shot then that will force you to bring the subject out from the center.

Rules are sometimes broken with purposeful intent.

On my wall is a b&w photograph of waterfalls in a chasm. The horizon line is purposely centered. There are several 'S' curves in the composition so that it is not static. The central horizon line, however, conveys a sense of peacefulness and quiet solitude which would otherwise be missing.

Hey

This is the benefit of looking at archives of old times.... benefits you to get new techniques for photography...
thanks for posting the link for the rule of third.....
will provide some help to an amateur like me
kulls

"And thirdly, the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.
Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner"

Most reactions

Back