Rumored 24-70 f4 IS you interested?

bledererphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What price point would you be interested to acquire at? Rumored to have near macro capabilities at 70 mm with hybrid is. Would assume far better iq compared to 24-105. I m guessing these are going to list higher than new tamron 24-70 2.8 thats already at 1300

For me; I would take the 2.8 over the 4 IS.

Near macro abilities sounds a bit iffy - most zooms only just get to 0.5:1 and no where near 1:1. Where is this rumour from?

I can see canon releasing a lens in this range with IS to cater to the video market - though honestly I would have expected them to keep to a 24-105mm upgrade instead of a 24-70mm. That said it could do well as a smaller, lighter (cheaper?) market lens for those who want a good quality lens but without the high cost and, size and weight of the MII Brick.

Yeah I don't understand the point of this lens...

Overread said:
Near macro abilities sounds a bit iffy - most zooms only just get to 0.5:1 and no where near 1:1. Where is this rumour from?

I can see canon releasing a lens in this range with IS to cater to the video market - though honestly I would have expected them to keep to a 24-105mm upgrade instead of a 24-70mm. That said it could do well as a smaller, lighter (cheaper?) market lens for those who want a good quality lens but without the high cost and, size and weight of the MII Brick.

Supposedly it will be 0.71:1 on the macro front

I would never ever buy this lens. Heck, I wouldn't buy a 24-70/2.8. I cannot see the point to this lens.

According to the site they have an unconfirmed price of $849. I think it's strange that they are speculating it will be a kit lens with the 6D as 70mm is still pretty wide on a FF. But then again it's pretty much like a 18-55 equivalent.

I think it's aimed at the video shooters who are screaming for that IS. That's where the 24-105 is at. I have a feeling the video shooters will jump at the chance to buy it.

MLeeK said:
I think it's aimed at the video shooters who are screaming for that IS. That's where the 24-105 is at. I have a feeling the video shooters will jump at the chance to buy it.

I agree! I'd take the Tamron over it even if it's cheaper, I'd need that f/2.8 for low light. Noise in videos is harder to get rid of and far more noticeable, it just dances around in the shadows

Agreed though I'm surprised that they'd effectively drop the 24-105mm f4 and not just upgrade that instead. It's also a worry because canon's 70-200mm range (certainly the f2.8 I'm not 100% sure about the f4) shift the focus as the zoom changes, which makes them rather useless for video photographers. The 24-105mm f4 IS L has always been a good choice for them since it retains its focus point even as the zoom changes - that along with IS are great features that video needs.

Agreed though I'm surprised that they'd effectively drop the 24-105mm f4 and not just upgrade that instead. It's also a worry because canon's 70-200mm range (certainly the f2.8 I'm not 100% sure about the f4) shift the focus as the zoom changes, which makes them rather useless for video photographers. The 24-105mm f4 IS L has always been a good choice for them since it retains its focus point even as the zoom changes - that along with IS are great features that video needs.

I think it would have been wiser to put the IS on the 24-70 f/2.8
Granted, IS isn't needed at that length for the most part (that whole 1/focal length thing.) I am still leaning on the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VR IF THE PRICE DROPS. I am thinking that the price has to meet the projected price for the 24-70 f/4IS in order to justify it.
If the price doesn't drop I'll go for a 24-70 f/2.8 original version. I can't justify the VR/IS enough at this focal range to make me compromise at an equal price and I can't justify going f/4 over f/2.8 to have the IS/VR. Can't justify spending less on this lens over the older version of the f/2.8 NEED that 2.8
So... this lens? It's a non-lens as far as I am concerned.

So, as far as professional photographers are concerned? I see this as not so much an option.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back