runnah's sure fire tips to getting good advice on equipment

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by runnah, Mar 9, 2014.

1. runnah

runnah Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If you follow these tips, your questions will be answered with speed and accuracy.

1. State your budget. Knowing how much you have to spend will allow people to accurately suggest equipment that is the best in your price range.

2. State what you have currently. This will allow for proper compatibility in the suggestions.

3. State your intentions. Taking photos of birds from a quarter mile away and photos of bugs require vastly different setups.

4. State your skill level. Don't be bashful, if you don't know what a function does or why you need something, ask away.

5. Do some research before hand. The Internet is a vast place full of somewhat accurate information. Come to the table with an educated question and save yourself and everyone else time and frustrations.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    • Like Like x 18
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. MSnowy

MSnowy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like #5 the most. When I was thinking about getting into photography 4 years ago I did just that. I researched on the internet and was pointed to TFP for answers to my questions. So are you saying new people should leave get more info and then come back.

• Like Like x 2
  3. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Please if I may, let me reorganize those for you.

1. Do some research before hand. The Internet is a vast place full of somewhat accurate information. Come to the table with an educated question and save yourself and everyone else time and frustrations.

2. State your skill level. Don't be bashful, if you don't know what a function does or why you need something, ask away.

3. See #2.

4. State your intentions. Taking photos of birds from a quarter mile away and photos of bugs require vastly different setups.

5. State what you have currently. This will allow for proper comparability in the suggestions.

6. State your budget. Knowing how much you have to spend will allow people to accurately suggest equipment that is the best in your price range.

• Like Like x 2
  4. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    This is awesome. Some moderator should make this a sticky.

• Like Like x 1
  5. runnah

runnah Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If only we knew one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. table1349

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. ratssass

ratssass TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I,too,like 5 the best....move it to 1.The main problem I've ever had,is,how to craft a question.So,so,so many times have I asked a simple question here,that requires no background as to equipment,ability level,etc.I'm not saying that those background items aren't useful,but it seems they too often used to create an opinion,and then opinions are argued and all the OP wanted was a readers digest version.Is he/she headed in the direction to find the answer?Sometimes,small steps/little bites,encourages (at least me),further exploration.

LMAO..........MAYBE I SHOULD READ THE OP THREAD TITLE!!!!!........sorry,runnah......that applied to general questions...**slowly goes back under the bridge,with his fellow trolls**

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm just gonna go ahead and stick this and we'll see if I get in trouble for it later.

• Like Like x 2
  9. table1349

Well if you do send this to Terri from me. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. MSnowy

MSnowy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think the owners of this forum or their paying supporters agree with this. I'm sure they're striving to be the number #1 search result on Google.

• Like Like x 2
  11. table1349

What...You mean if I show up at a car dealership and when they ask "what kind of car I am looking for" and I tell them "a white one" they won't know exactly what my wants and needs are. Well no wonder I felt disappointed and ripped off the last time I bought a vehicle. I wasn't sure I needed that custom built Mercedes Benz Pickup Truck for $190,000.00 but they said it came in white so I thought they knew what I needed.
    [​IMG]

12. Steve5D

Steve5D TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Well, if I was a complete neophyte who wanted to do some research on cameras, I might conclude that a photography forum would be a good place to start. So, I go to Google and type "photography forum" into the search block.

What do you think is the very first listing?

Yeah...