runnah's sure fire tips to getting good advice on equipment

A few thoughts on runnah's most-excellent suggestions for those seeking buying suggestion/guidance here on TPF:

1-Budget often can determine if you MUST buy used, or if you must buy third-party equipment, or refurbished. If you are unwilling to go with refurbished or used gear, it's helpful for us to know that, but ultimately the budget can be critical; if you want a 70-200/2.8, but can spend only $275...well...the closest might be a BGN-grade 80-200 f/2.8 from KEH.COM.

2. State what you have currently. YES!!!!! State your camera brand, and model/format. If you have a Canon, Nikon, or Sony, please state that.

3.Intentions. Yeah...helpful. If you are planning a format change within a year or two, stating that would be helpful. If you have plans to someday shoot high school sports 3,4,5,6 years in the future, or plan on seriously studying photography or starting a business, stating those intentions might be very helpful.

4. Skill level is helpful for us to know, but at the same time, some higher-end zooms and lenses are "lifetime", or at least "10 to 15 YEAR-capable" pieces of equipment, so it is often a good strategy to buy for where you HOPE or PLAN TO BE AT a ways in the future.

I liken it to showing up at a random car dealership and saying "I want a car". You'll get terrible service and end up walking away ripped off and disappointed. Show up to a dealership with a particular type of car with features you like and you'll have a better experience.

TPF is indeed on the Internet but it isn't google.

It's nothing like that at all.

The car dealership wants to sell you something. TPF does not...

Well, that's not entirely correct. There are ads. It's a business.

But an answer that someone would get here, from another forum member, is not going to be influenced an iota by the ads that are run here...

But an answer that someone would get here, from another forum member, is not going to be influenced an iota by the ads that are run here...

As an aside, I don't think that in all my many years of internetting I have ever clicked on a banner ad.

Not even one of the ads to get a concealed weapons permit??

I did order what I thought was a flashlight from one of those ads and for some reason it didn't even light up.

Ok this thread was just ridiculous.

Cut it out. Now.

Anyone posting another obnoxious or inflammatory remark will be given an infraction at least, and possibly a short ban.

No exceptions.

A few thoughts on runnah's most-excellent suggestions for those seeking buying suggestion/guidance here on TPF: 1-Budget often can determine if you MUST buy used, or if you must buy third-party equipment, or refurbished. If you are unwilling to go with refurbished or used gear, it's helpful for us to know that, but ultimately the budget can be critical; if you want a 70-200/2.8, but can spend only $275...well...the closest might be a BGN-grade 80-200 f/2.8 from KEH.COM. 2. State what you have currently. YES!!!!! State your camera brand, and model/format. If you have a Canon, Nikon, or Sony, please state that. 3.Intentions. Yeah...helpful. If you are planning a format change within a year or two, stating that would be helpful. If you have plans to someday shoot high school sports 3,4,5,6 years in the future, or plan on seriously studying photography or starting a business, stating those intentions might be very helpful. 4. Skill level is helpful for us to know, but at the same time, some higher-end zooms and lenses are "lifetime", or at least "10 to 15 YEAR-capable" pieces of equipment, so it is often a good strategy to buy for where you HOPE or PLAN TO BE AT a ways in the future.

#1 I agree with you comments. It boggles my mind how many people don't think to buy used. Photography is a luxury hobby and like most others you can find barely use gear cheap because folks move on. When I snowboarded frequently I could always get killer deals on equipment that had been used for a few days during the season. Since it was last years model I was able to get it for more than half off.

A few thoughts on runnah's most-excellent suggestions for those seeking buying suggestion/guidance here on TPF:

1-Budget often can determine if you MUST buy used, or if you must buy third-party equipment, or refurbished. If you are unwilling to go with refurbished or used gear, it's helpful for us to know that, but ultimately the budget can be critical; if you want a 70-200/2.8, but can spend only $275...well...the closest might be a BGN-grade 80-200 f/2.8 from KEH.COM.

2. State what you have currently. YES!!!!! State your camera brand, and model/format. If you have a Canon, Nikon, or Sony, please state that.

3.Intentions. Yeah...helpful. If you are planning a format change within a year or two, stating that would be helpful. If you have plans to someday shoot high school sports 3,4,5,6 years in the future, or plan on seriously studying photography or starting a business, stating those intentions might be very helpful.

4. Skill level is helpful for us to know, but at the same time, some higher-end zooms and lenses are "lifetime", or at least "10 to 15 YEAR-capable" pieces of equipment, so it is often a good strategy to buy for where you HOPE or PLAN TO BE AT a ways in the future.

You're right, but a lot of people are afraid of going with used gear. There's horror stories abound, but a lot of them are unfounded. What I'm saying is listen to Derrel here-keep an open mind. If buying used is scary (which is actually quite understandable), do your research and buy from a reputable used dealer perhaps instead of someone on eBay (there are reputable sellers on eBay too).

I'll buy used lenses from private parties, but not bodies. The only exception to that was when I bought my Sigma 50-500mm. I was hemming and hawing over the price until the guy said "How 'bout I throw in the 20D?".

That's the only time I've purchased a used body. That said, I don't think I would hesitate to purchase a used body from B&H or Adorama...

hello,
budget, not applicable to this question
i currently just got a lumix gf6, mirrorless camera
my intention is to learn to work it properly
skill level, probably beginner

i am looking for the best place to receive some quick training, instruction on the best way to use this camera...
thank you..

Hi,
I'm looking for a camera for my sister and I found the sony alpha 3000. It's right on my budget. She used to own an old agfa on film, but it's done. Would it be a good choice, as she hates the digital camera's images? Thanks

My tip is don't ask what kind of camera or lenses should you buy. If you do you will get a bunch of answers but in the end they don't help you make the decision at all. These types of questions are best answred by you yourself.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back