Running fro the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
One should give credit where credit is due though... The storm picture was taken by a good friend of mine. Here is his picture. Please refrain from posting other peoples pictures as your own.

04-5-28-18.jpg

Here is his site...

http://www.extremeinstability.com

Doug Raflik
[email protected]

wxnut said:
One should give credit where credit is due though... The storm picture was taken by a good friend of mine. Here is his picture. Please refrain from posting other peoples pictures as your own.

04-5-28-18.jpg

Here is his site...

Doug Raflik
[email protected]

Now's when I say "Holy Crap!!!"

That's not cool! :thumbdown:

oh my gosh. that guy's site is incredible. i want to take storm pictures now...

yes, that is a shame. UNLESS they took the picture from relatively the same place at the same time! aha!

Agreed that you should not post other peoples work as your own, and maybe I gun a little too much for the underdog in situations like these. But he didn't say that he took the pictures of the storm he only said that he used them. Given the context of this forum, people should be clear if they are using images that they did not take themselves, in fact that should just probably be avoided all together. However this being the internet, there is a reasonable chance that the image was found from a place other than that site, so the creator of the photo may not have been known, making credit hard to give?

Thats my $.02

I am quite happy that this has has happened if only for the fact that wxnut has posted this http://www.extremeinstability.com, because that guy has got some absolutly incredible photos.

Jeff

JEFFB said:
Agreed that you should not post other peoples work as your own, and maybe I gun a little too much for the underdog in situations like these. But he didn't say that he took the pictures of the storm he only said that he used them. Given the context of this forum, people should be clear if they are using images that they did not take themselves, in fact that should just probably be avoided all together. However this being the internet, there is a reasonable chance that the image was found from a place other than that site, so the creator of the photo may not have been known, making credit hard to give?

Thats my $.02

I am quite happy that this has has happened if only for the fact that wxnut has posted this http://www.extremeinstability.com, because that guy has got some absolutly incredible photos.

Jeff

To me, it totally sounded like he was claiming them. His exact words:

erniehatt said:
Time to come clean folks, yes it has been photoshoped. I got the idea the last time I was out in the boat, when I saw the wake. I had these awesome sky pictures, so this was the end result of my trip yesterday.I thank you all for the great comments, and sorry if you feel deceived. Goes to show what can be done with a little thought and patience. Ernie

He didn't say "I found these" Or "I had these awesome sky pictures taken by so-an-so"...he said "I had these awesome sky pictures". That leads me to believe that he had taken them, and they were in his archives.

wxnut said:

04-5-28-18.jpg

Here is his site...

Doug Raflik
[email protected]
Agreed. For the time being, suffice it to say this thread is being reviewed.

erniehatt said:
Time to come clean folks, yes it has been photoshoped. I got the idea the last time I was out in the boat, when I saw the wake. I had these awesome sky pictures, so this was the end result of my trip yesterday.I thank you all for the great comments, and sorry if you feel deceived. Goes to show what can be done with a little thought and patience. Ernie
Not to mention, while having no qualms regarding blatant plagiarism. You had no "awesome sky picture" of your own. I find your action reprehensible. :thumbdown:

And here I was so excited about this photo, because unlike this photo, I have actually been in that situation before. In the boat, running away from a huge storm. It does look exactly like what you've PS'd here though so credit to you on the good PS work.

But like the other's have said, definately a big no-no on the plagiarism.

Oh, the outcome of this entire story makes me sad and disappointed. :(
And there I was yesterday afternoon, wondering if not wxnut had ever seen or photographed something like this. And indeed, it was his good friend's photo in the first place here... :(

To do this and not indicating with one word that the photo is a montage and the important, the impressive part, comes from someone else's photo all together is just not fair.

And the caption "I went fishing this morning" does not suggest the photo was mounted!

Even if the author of the second photo used for this one is not known, it would still have been fairer to say: "I found this absolutely stunning photo of a storm formation in the internet somewhere and used it for my montage".

But without any word in this direction, I do feel deceived. For we usually (so I would assume) all post only our own creations here. :(

We share in your outrage and disgust, Corinna.

It would be nice if this member came back here to admit to his actions and offer an explanation as well as an apology.

This is one of the few ways that the internet has negatively affected photography, and I guess you could generally say "printed" art as well (Paintings, Drawings, ect...). Once you post some of your work on the internet without either having a watermark cover the entire thing or downgrading the quality significantly, people can just say it is theirs, while odds are for the most part its not going to hurt you don't want to be searching the internet and find one of your photos being used as something like a website header, especially if it were a picture of your family.
The way I see it is if you keep your photos to a small size people will not be able to make good prints out of them.

On a side note, I think some should contact Doug Raflik and tell him to start posting in the gallery whenever he gets some news photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back