Rusty Handle

Nitro Boy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Heres a shot of the handle on the cardoor of my family's garage...
Once again, I ask for sharp constructive criticism- Im new, and I would love tips on improving the look at feel, and especially the quality of my photography. (feel free to edit and repost, but only in this thread without permission)

GaragedoorHandle.jpg

Btw- anyone else here from Spokane, WA? If so, do you know any good locations? Thanks!

very interesting... and it sounds like your a very well mannered son...congrats to your parents...

i dont critique...and if you really want it, there is a critique forum...and i think it gets a bit tough...but they can help you more...

i personally think this is really interesting...great concept..and as a pro on here has told me numerous times, take pics of anything and everything....just keep shooting...

oh, and welcome,and keep posting!!

hehe... well mannered... why do you say that?

Today is my second day with the new camera- I guess you could say Ive been seing things I've not bothered looking at in the house.

All day Ive been yearning to get out and explore the back alley, although, to my sadness, Its pouring out, and I couldnt bear *bare?* to have my new camera outside in such weather. Trust me, when I say that this photo is just the beginning of the wondrous beauty in my back alleyway.

Thanks for stopping to comment, and say hi... Keep reading, im bound to have more up within a few days!

my cc for what it's worth. :)

overall, i like the distressed look of the door and handle itself.
the title of the image is 'rusty handle', but yet i don't see any rust.
did you convert this to b&w? if so, would you mind posting the
orignial version?
i'd like to see it without the harsh lighting of the flash.
(i'm assuming this is outside?) i'd also like to see it straightened and maybe
a bit more space in the picture. is this an in camera crop?

No, its a computer crop... I converted it to B&W in photoshop... Here is the original uncropped version- *downsized, ofcourse.*

IMG_0114small.jpg

i'd have probably done something along these lines.
distressed it a bit, and i'd probably add some noise to it.
but - that's just me.

i do like where you're headed with it though.
thanks for letting me play. :)

I like the fact that you feel inspired to play with it yourself. This tells me that my photography might someday be equal to the other amazing artists here, and you think I have potential... Am I right? :)

After giving the versions you posted a thought, I came to a conclusion of sorts.

I favor the second one you posted, as far as image treatment, but I dont know if I quite like the way you cropped it- The way I had it cropped kindof dropped a sheet of mystery over the image- do you know what I mean? If I had more cleverly titled the image, people might've stopped to think "Hey- I wonder what that might be a picture of."

If I were to use the image treatment you suggested, I would use it to a slightly lighter degree. I feel like its been a bit mangled... Maybe one layer with this in photoshop and one with the original in B&W. I could then adjust the amount of each, and use layer blends.

Thanks for your interest, and time!

Oh no, Ben is starting to have an eye for photography. Don't take over my territory Ben :lmao:

Honestly, I really like this. I would like your crop with the second edition of Kalee's version. I am a sucker for sepia tones and what not. But a great texture, and it had me guessing what it was for a while until I saw the original.

Nice!

Haha. I dont think I was born with anything near the talent you have. Besides, If I do get into it, you've gotten me beat as far as equipment, and you have a cooler place to take photos of. When I come to canada some day, you'll have to let me try your equipment, abit.

Most reactions

Back