S5 blows me away!

Digitalis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hoylesphotography.com
I picked up a Fuji S5 tonight. I snapped a couple of quick pics and I am blown away by the highlight recovery on this camera! Here is a shot straight out of the camera. I purposely overexposed by 3 stops with a flash.

80780975.jpg

Here is what a combination of the recovery and exposure sliders can do in CS3 raw converter.

80780974.jpg

OK, its a crappy picture but wow!:lol:

Back to playing...

Very impressive! I hope to see more from Fuji, whether creating their own SLR system or making sensors for others. Thanks for posting.

Might come in handy in extreme circumstances, but if you're shooting digital you have absolutely no excuse for accidentally overexposing.

Might come in handy in extreme circumstances, but if you're shooting digital you have absolutely no excuse for accidentally overexposing.

I wish my photographic skills could live up to that!

Most of the time you are right but there are times when shooting a backlit portrait without fill flash when I would rather the sky be blue with puffy white clouds rather than blown out white. This Fuji sensor has the ability to turn the sky the color it was when you shot the picture without underexposing the subject.

High ISO stuff isn't bad either. Here is an ISO 1600 shot, hand held.

80784635.jpg

Here is a 100% crop.

80784639.jpg

Same shot at ISO3200

80785155.jpg

80785172.jpg

No sharpening or noise reduction applied to either. A little soft, I think I missed the focus slightly.

is it CS3 or the S5 that amazed you?

the recovery of the lightlight is really amazing....i've never seen that before...how does it recover all the data from a "white field"?.....just amazing

Read Ken Rockwells review... he explains all that.

Don't tell me this about this camera.... I was so intent on getting it but now I think I am going Canon and won't be. But it DOES sound like an AMAZING camera, yes. The sensor is supposed to be spot on.

is it CS3 or the S5 that amazed you?

the recovery of the lightlight is really amazing....i've never seen that before...how does it recover all the data from a "white field"?.....just amazing

The highlight recovery is a function of the camera not the software. The Fuji basically uses two sensors, one for highlights and one for shadows. If you turn them both on at the same time you can recover the highlights and keep the shadow detail. No other camera can do that. CS3 simply uses the second sensor to recover the highlights.

man.......this sounds awesome.....so you are getting 2 exposures with on one shot.....amazing

Why? Digital somehow magically avoids mistakes?

No, but if you have the time to stop and check your histograms...

Digital also makes it a bit easier to tone-map.

man.......this sounds awesome.....so you are getting 2 exposures with on one shot.....amazing

Basically...yes. You don't get two files as both the "S and R" pixels are combined in one file but you get the advantage of the high dynamic range of combining what is basically two exposures. To me that's cool technology...but hey, I'm a geek.:D

Sounds pretty amazing.

Most reactions

Back