Sad day...

It was a long, fun ride!
I can say, yet another news item I heard about first on TPF!
Jeeze, what a bunch of weenies...a guy punches his boss, and then they fire him because he punched his boss...I mean, wow...talk about thin-skinned.

It was a long, fun ride!
Jeeze, what a bunch of weenies...a guy punches his boss, and then they fire him because he punched his boss...I mean, wow...talk about thin-skinned.

Yeah he did kind of screw himself.

Shows the difference between BBC and US TV. In the US you can bunch all the people you want and as long as the advertisers are happy you'll still have a job!

I'd punch someone if they served me cold food too.

LOL ... he needs a union. I know of a Los Angeles City employee who accidentally shot a co-worker and wasn't fired. He was suspended a couple of weeks w/o pay and that was it. (It was one of incidences where an employee was showing off his new toy type of things and it accidentally went off. If he had actually shoot his boss instead of a co-worker, that apparently nobody liked, the story may have been different.)

Well, to be fair, it was getting a bit stale.
Top Gear was the last bastion of politically incorrect TV. I will miss them for as long as it takes them to produce a new version on another channel.

Meh, it was getting all shiny and focusing more on shtick than on the cars.

And, yes, they were often politically incorrect, but there's also a difference between being political incorrect and being an arsehole. Clarkson was very entertaining and I'll miss the chemistry the three of them had, but there were also things I've seen on that show that I thought crossed the line into meanness, and I won't miss that.

It was a long, fun ride!

Yeah he did kind of screw himself.

Shows the difference between BBC and US TV. In the US you can bunch all the people you want and as long as the advertisers are happy you'll still have a job!

He was on a final warning though from a fair few previous misdemeanours. And with no advertisers, his wages are paid by me and the rest of the TV licence payers, so to keep him employed with public money after he assaulted a co-worker wasn't really an option for the BBC.

Meh, it was getting all shiny and focusing more on shtick than on the cars.

And, yes, they were often politically incorrect, but there's also a difference between being political incorrect and being an arsehole. Clarkson was very entertaining and I'll miss the chemistry the three of them had, but there were also things I've seen on that show that I thought crossed the line into meanness, and I won't miss that.

Top Gear was never about the cars. It was a motoring magazine show about 3 mates playing with cars.

The meanness you mentioned was never malicious. It was laddish behaviour that goes on in every male group of friends that get together for fun and frolics. That's why it was so popular. It was like going on a track day with your mates and having a laugh. That's why there was an 18-year waiting list to be in the audience.

As much as I love Top Gear and although I don't agree with most of Clarkson's political views, he is a very good entertainer and journalist, but punching somebody in the face over an argument about a hot dinner is grounds for immediate dismissal from any type of employment - especially one that is paid for by the licence paying public.

Well, to be fair, it was getting a bit stale.
Top Gear was the last bastion of politically incorrect TV. I will miss them for as long as it takes them to produce a new version on another channel.

It will never be the same though, when they have to start pandering to advertisers

Last edited:
Over a million sign petitions to save Clarkson's job at the BBC, whilst more than 20,000 queue to see the coffin of the usurper in Leicester. England is going to the dogs!

Most reactions

Back