Sadder than any movie I've ever seen...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by srinaldo86, Feb 25, 2010.

1. srinaldo86

srinaldo86 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    BE WARE - EXTREMELY SAD VIDEO OF ELDERLY DOG BEING PUT DOWN.

It is a sad video, but it is a very well done documentary that I though some of you may appreciate and perhaps inspire you.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOAcRKZxjy4"]Last Minutes with Oden[/ame]

I cried like a baby, I just put down my 15 year old black lab "Bunny," in October 2008.
    [​IMG]

2. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow this isnt a repost here? This has been making its rounds for a while now. It is really sad =/ Im sure the original vimeo file is better then this one.

3. srinaldo86

srinaldo86 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry if it is!
    I just really appreciated the video.

4. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldnt know ive just been lurking the past few days

5. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sorry to say that because your heart seems to be in the right place but this video sickens me. I would have put down the guy long before the dog.

Watch the video again. The guy talks about how it is for "his own comfort" then mentions that he moved into a place that doesn't allow dogs... Yes the dog is staying with a friend. So what? If you have a dog you just don't move into a place that doesn't allow them. Friends are not going to care of your problem dog for you for very long.

I've put down many dogs over the years because my wife and I are the ones who end up taking care of the ones the owners don't want anymore because they are a**holes who should never have had dogs in the first place. And this guy is a**hole #1, making a video to make it seems like he had no other choice while telling you that it is for "his" own comfort. Put him down.

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm guessing that he didn't have much of a choice with regard to moving home - yes if you own an animal most people who care for them will try to move to a place that will let them keep the animal - however I can well understand that money and time constraints prevent one from actually being able to have that luxuary.
    I know several people who have had to have animals rehomed (normally horses though the odd dog appears as well) because they are unable to find a property which is suitable.

Also reading on the youtube page it appears the dog was put down because of cancer - so I assume that the cancer had spread and was inoperable (or if it was the cost was way beyond the owners ability to pay and/or chances of success were very small). Thus the choice was made to have the dog put down before the cancer spread and caused further pain.

7. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry but I don't believe there is never a choice. I do understand the money constraint part but, then, doesn't that mean you should not have gotten a dog in the first place? Pets do cost money and if you don't get that you shouldn't own one. I have no pity for people who think that pets (living things) are disposable.

I only watched the video and there was no mention that I heard of cancer. It is, to me, a valid reason to put a pet down. I do not advocate spending thousands of $ on pet treatment and would not hold that against anyone but too many pet owners are very quick at getting rid of their animals when they don't suit them anymore.

Sorry, but I've had up to 10 dogs and over 20 birds in my house at a time because of such idiots.

8. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    Ahh I see your point of contention now - yeah the video makes no mention of why the dog is being put down nor does the dog look unhappy or in pain - if you follow the link to the youtube site the description makes mention of the cancer aspect and gives a proper context. I can see why you were hostile now!

As for owning the pet - a dog is a lot cheaper than a home - also things change. Sometimes you have a job and can keep a pet - then you lose your job and that pet can no longe be kept. This is very true of highly expensive animals like horses where the cost of keeping can be very high

9. MissKH

MissKH TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    could not bring myself to watch the video if i tried...i am one of "those" people who mistakes my dog for a human being but i do think it would be fitting for people to watch this video who were thinking of sending their animals to the pound- seeing as how they would meet a similar fate

10. mtfd635

mtfd635 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I must be missing something, but I don't see what this has to do with photography...

11. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Probably why it is in the "off topic" area...

12. Overread

Photos OK to edit
    Oh and for the record - saddest film I have ever seen - Grave of the Fireflies by studio Ghibli. Seriously a very emotional film