Sally Mann

inneist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi there,

Recently the American photographer Sally Mann came to Sweden and exhibited her new photo show here. It generated notable public interests in her work, and to a certain degree, some debate on her approach to photography.

Personally it's a truly powerful experience for me to look through her photos in the gallery. Right now I'm still organizing my thoughts on this, but some further background reading did make me a bit perplexed. For example, a photo showing her and her two daughters ****ing in the past was never publicly shown in the US out of the advice by a lawyer. It's even written somewhere in the media she volunteered to have let FBI check her work. I wonder if anyone on this forum who is well-versed in law could explain, from a legal point of view, what are the specific legal realms where Sally Mann's photos may run into trouble. I undertand the law rather changes in time.

Thanks in advance. And here's one of her online galleries for those who might be interested in Sally Mann:

http://www.art-forum.org/z_Mann/gallery.htm

My college years are 1986 thru '90. We love Sally Mann! It has been years since I checked out her work. Have to say that her work is provactive and her lighting and exposure is amazing. True artist. I seriously doubt any legal deal will touch her.

Some masterful printmaking there. I've also enjoyed some of the more recent wet plates I've seen from her. Wonderful body of work.

Sally Mann is to photography what Marilyn Manson is to music.

I find myself enormously sympathetic to this statement....

One reservation, Marilyn Manson's music sells well. Great market potential. And Sally Mann's photos? They are just too honest.

Hello Terri, if I'm not wrong, the recent wet plate photos are also on display in the gallery I went to, under the title of "What Remains". It must be very very old technique (from the 19th century?) but the result looks awesome. I wonder how long does it take to properly exposure under such a method, do you know?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back