Salvage or Disguard??

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by doli, Jul 2, 2005.

1. doli

doli TPF Noob!

I found an old Kodak Brownie Junior six-20.
    I've nevr worked with this kind of camera... but was thinking of taking it in to get it cleaned and fixed, if it needs it.
    Has anyone seen the photos taken with this kind of camera? I know nothing about it. What can you tell me about shooting with it... good for/bad for. Fix it/ just leave it on the shelf as a conversation piece?

Thanks for your feedback!
    Doli

2. Noodle

Noodle TPF Noob!

I have one too! It was the start of my vintage camera collection. As far as I know you can't get film for it anymore unless you cut your own. It's probably not worth it though, unless you want to 'experience' the camera. They were mass produced so you can pick up one anywhere very cheaply.

3. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Doli, the six-20 takes 620 size film. It's been a long time since 620 has been made but you can roll 120 size film (easily found) onto 620 spools, provided you have any. Although very popular years ago, it's not one of Kodak's better performing cameras so don't expect any great results from it. Possibly mediocre at best.

If I were you I'd fix it and leave it on the shelf asa a good conversation piece. If you are thinking about cleaning it, let me know and I'll help you with the cleaning process.

Hope this helps.

4. selmerdave

selmerdave TPF Noob!

You can buy 620 from B&H.

Dave

5. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, about $10.00 a roll!!! If you really, really want to shoot some pictures with your oldie camera you can get a few old 620 film spools and buy 120 film to respool it onto the 620 spools. Here is the link on how to do it:

http://www.inficad.com/~gstewart/respool.htm

I respool 120 onto 620 spools as well, it's fairly easy and heck of a lot cheaper!

6. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's probably cheaper to look around and buy a working model than to get it fixed. Maybe try yourself?

Rerolling 120 onto 620 spools sounds a lot more complicated than it is. With some cameras you don't even have to reroll it. All you need is an empty 620 spool to put on the take-up side, because on the loaded side the film roll just sits there and is pulled out from the take-up side. Just make sure you get the 620 spool back for the next roll.

A Holga-esk frame of mind may be required to find satisfaction when shooting this sort of camera, but I think they are fun.

7. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Photos OK to edit
    I got a Box Brownie six-20 C off ebay a while ago... Tried respooling. put the film in - havent used it though. It pissed me off how hard it was to wind to the next frame. hehe...

We pulled it apart and cleaned it ourself. Very easy.

8. erniehatt

erniehatt TPF Noob!

My this is an oldy,can remember these being quite poplar many years ago, they worked very well in the right hands. Id give it a go for interest sake. Ernie