Sam (too dark??)

Alexandra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay, so i'm having some doubts here. The lighting was very poor, and i don't know if this is too dark. what do you think?
Also: is the blue too much? his uniform was already dark blue plus the colorization really darkened the shot. So, what are your opinions on this? any suggestions?

IMGP00353_f.jpg

i think that it isnt too dark but it is a little blue...but thats just me

Seems to me that the top is right, but the bottom is a little too dark. I can barely see any detail below his leg.

Having done mostly concert shots in dark and dank night clubs, I've had this problem many times. And it's a pain sometimes, but its usually recoverable.

I would try just lightening the bottom on a new layer.

Hope that helps in some way. I like the photo a lot.

_KA

i like the dark area. i would say, rather than trying to bring out details in the dark, do the opposite and get rid of those two the distracting specs of light on the bottom right.

also i think crop a tiny bit off the bottom and a couple of cm's off the right hand side, so that cupboard thing isnt in the picture.

i think the contrast is nice and i like the colour. It's a nice picture

i really like this picture. the only thing id suggest is lightening the left side of his face a bit.

I like the idea of a crop also. It would help to get rid of some of the dead space.

With both that much window and shadow in the frame, this is a really tough lighting situation to get a good exposure in. I think you did a good job of getting the necessary detail in his face to see who he is, even if one side is in shadow. It's just an extreme example of "short" lighting.

Guys, first of all, I wanna thank you a lot for the awesome advice! I was first kind of affraid of the critique gallery... but now i think i'll have to post here more often ;)

So, I tried out some of your suggestions and here's what I got. (I'm really bad in PS and all, so go easy on me ;) )

JohnMF: i cloned out the specs to give a more natural look:
samv2.jpg

And I tried the crop thing also:
samv4.jpg

Fury, I tried the layer lighting, but the thing is that the darkness was already there in the original, so there's no way I can get more detail uot of it :(
But I think the crop solves that problem ;)

Sorry but I don’t like that last crop, IMO too tight, also I do not mine to refection off his watch, and i like the blue tone, As for the darkness looks good on my monitor

I like the original post. I get a strong feeling of his surroundings. The cyan hue is nice. As long as there is something resembling white in the frame. the only thing missing is a huge bounce to open the shadows.

I really like the original post. The angle and very light window contrasting against the person. But I think that the little bit of light on the left side of his face makes up for the rest of him being a bit dark. Very well done. I also love the blue tone, it fits perfectly.

-Fiona

i also like the original better than the crop. the lower part of the picture really plays well with the brighter top half, and the shape of his body really leads your eye to his face. the crop makes him more look cramped, and takes away the feel of the image's contrast. I think the exposure/contrast is spot on, and the toning is also nice. nice photo, i really like it!

thank you guys for the great critique :D

...hmph, i still didn't show him the pics, though... hope i can do it asap.

Most reactions

Back