Sample images made w/ soft focus filters anyone?

japmula

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hiya!

Does anyone have any sample images made with soft focus filters? And which filters, exactly?

I am interested in creating like a soft romantic feel, so would like to find out what kinds of filters I would want to buy.

Thanks!!!

Usually mate...youll see some on the filter packet.
And generally you cant see the difference...they just soften everything a tiny bit...to make it more...magical...and not...so harsh...you get me?

Experiment with a piece of nylon pantyhose over your portrait lens. That works really well for most soft-focus shots.

My portrait lens (Canon 135mm f/2.8 ) has a built-in soft-focus which is adjustable and works pretty well.

My personal favorite is a Pro Mist filter. I use it for weddings and it just softens things up a bit. You probably could make one out of a UV filter and some black spray paint since they look like a clear filter that has a fine mist of black paint on it.

I think I have heard someone say they made one with a UV filter and hairspray. You just wash the filter after use so it doesn't get sticky.

I did a slight soft focus on this print in the darkroom. Definately has a different feel than a filter used on the camera.

jvsenior.jpg

If you are shooting digital, it's really easy to add a soft focus in Photoshop. Duplicate your background layer, run a gaussian blur at 6 pixels, and then set the layer opacity to 50%. Adjust it from there. It works quite well.

drlynn said:
Experiment with a piece of nylon pantyhose over your portrait lens. That works really well for most soft-focus shots.

My portrait lens (Canon 135mm f/2.8 ) has a built-in soft-focus which is adjustable and works pretty well.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, but hmmm....this sounds very interesting. I think I will try this. Do you have any sample shots?

Alright! :p

White Nylon (I have pink but I haven't trried it yet)

With Hole(s) (You cant see them through the lens just in he photo)
sf-open4.jpg

Without holes
sf-open3.jpg

Having holes is a lot better, or else everything will be fuzzy. It has mroe of a smoky effect than anything.

I put mine on by screwing my UV filter over top. I think an eleastic band will help just as well.

drlynn, would you mind posting some samples of soft focussed shots? Id really like to see what theyre like.

photong
This isnt really what I expected soft focus to look like... Has anyone tried shooting with an actual soft focus filter screwed on the camera? Id buy one but theyre really expensive...

Thanks photong....that is very interesting.

I put mine on by screwing my UV filter over top. I think an eleastic band will help just as well.

I was shooting yesterday and tried the nylon (silky sheer in 'buff')...but might have only gotten 1 or 2 shots, b/c i wasn't prepared and it was too difficult to keep the nylon outstretched.....thanks! i will try that next time.

The best way to have that "romantic look" is to use 2 filters, the soft filter (whatever you call it), a warm filter, and try to get allot of contrast wich in term gets softened by the filter that way you get the most out of both and get the look... I tried this with a pic I took of a canon in a castle in cuba, but because it was indoors and not contrasty enought it just looks bad, try to use available sunlight if you have the chance to take it near a window, it looks great. also you can use a champange filter (all the filters I´m talking about ar kokin filters, dunno their names in other brands, anyway the champange filter is like the combination of the softener and warm but there isn´t any blur in the center, most use this filter in whedings to get the person infocus but the surroundings blured.... hope it helped

A bloke at my work always suggests to smear some Vaseline over a UV filter and sticking that on the lens. Of course, NO VASELINE ON THE ACTUAL LENS! :)

Most reactions

Back