Samsung NX1 - New Flagship CSC

Nikon F-mount please.
Seriously Samsung made a good (at least on paper) camera but has no complete system as well as Sony.

What's not complete about it? Sammy has some great lenses at good prices. Even some with unique features like the smallest fisheye. 3D 45mm f1.8. iFunctions are pretty unique. They have their own wireless ttl flash now as well. Still not a lot of 3rd party support, but some offerings there. Please elaborate.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Amazing AF tracking!
Focus tracking on the Samsung NX1:

Saw the NX1 and was just as impressed as everyone else but the truth is that it looks like under every tree today you will find a new company making new camera.
I would stick with companies that has been making cameras forever, what happeneds if I invest in a system and 3-4 years from now they decide they dont make enough money with their photography and stop making cameras.
And as good as the NX1 might be if I would go mirrorless I would go with only one camera................A7!

I strongly doubt Sammy will leave the photography arena. They have very deep pockets and lots of R & D muscle.

I strongly doubt Sammy will leave the photography arena. They have very deep pockets and lots of R & D muscle.
Probably you are right but I personally wouldn't invest in their system even if I was ready to buy mirrorless, Sony would be my bet.

I would stick with companies that has been making cameras forever, what happeneds if I invest in a system and 3-4 years from now they decide they dont make enough money with their photography and stop making cameras.

In other words stay away from a company like Sony that doesn't have a long history making cameras and has a track record of fickle and unreliable support for what they do make. For example remember Sony's 4 color CFA? Or how about the A7 -- which may be a great camera if Sony ever figures out that cameras need lenses in order to take photos.

I'm not suggesting that Samsung is like Nikon or Canon or Fuji who have been in the photo business for decades, but you can't offer up Sony as a stable alternative to Samsung.

Joe

In other words stay away from a company like Sony that doesn't have a long history making cameras and has a track record of fickle and unreliable support for what they do make. For example remember Sony's 4 color CFA? Or how about the A7 -- which may be a great camera if Sony ever figures out that cameras need lenses in order to take photos.

I'm not suggesting that Samsung is like Nikon or Canon or Fuji who have been in the photo business for decades, but you can't offer up Sony as a stable alternative to Samsung.

Joe
Agreed, that's why I stick with Nikon and stick with DSLR but if I was forced to go mirrorless then the A7 is the only option I've got because after I tasted the sweet nectar of full frame there is no going back (for me).
If some other company is making FF mirrorless then let me know :)

I have a Canon XSi and use a Nikon 3200 at work for product photography. To be honest, I was on the fence about Samsung and after a little research, I find that their user interface, value, sharp and fast (albeit affordable) lenses hit a sweet spot for "me". My NX300 has made me a believer. So far I invested in a 30mm f/2 and 45mm f/1.8 aside from my kit lens and I'm impressed at the quality, IQ and portability I get with this system. Sure there's no FF option, but I'm no pro and FF isn't that much of a necessity to me. Plus the added bulk, weight, and price tag FF specific gear (i.e.. glass) that adds to it. I like the crop factor and if I need a wider or longer focal length I just compensate. So my 30mm pancake shoots close to an equivalent nifty-fifty at a substantially reduced form factor.

As far as Sony vs. Samsung, I did highly consider the NEX system before I pulled the trigger on the NX system. But lenses, from what I recall, are superior on Sammy's side and user interface.

Now Samsung has introduced the NX1 with a series of premium "S" lenses that are fast, metal, and weather/dust sealed. Doesn't sound like a company looking to high-tail it out of the camera biz soon.

For the record, I do like my NX300 over my personal and work DSLR. I have the camera on me more often than my bulky DSLR gear.. we're actually adding a Canon G7X to the household, so you see, I'm not totally Sammy fanboy hear. Just a fan of innovation and compactness for the consumer (with the NX1 as an exception to compactness).

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back