Samuel P. Taylor State Park

Mendoza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
sgulch7upload.jpg

Critique/Comments invited; I'm lost.

Why are you lost? Good or bad, is not easy to comment on such a picture. The main problem is the light, all parts are the evenly lighted. What were your setting for this shot and what lens did you use?

I'm lost with no feedback, which you've generously provided. :)

Settings: f/10, 1/20 sec, 250 ISO
Lens: Canon 18-200mm

I may have gotten a little overzealous with the post-processing. I wanted to see a little more detail in the shadows. Here is the original:
img2977temp.jpg

and with the processing turned down a bit:
sgulch72upload.jpg

It happens to everyone, don't take it personal :)

You will get a better response if you tell people what is that you want to change/improve in this picture. Or write an essay, tell us what were you thinking and how envisioned capturing it.

Post more photos :thumbsup:

My initial thought when viewing this image, is I found myself looking for a point of interest. "What is this image about". Beautiful scenery in the woods viewing live doesn't translate to the image captured so easily sometimes. There is so much foliage and the lighting is difficult so the viewer’s eye usually searches around the image randomly looking for something to grab their attention.

Not sure of the terrain exactly, but maybe across the creek, down real low shooting up (or down) the creek. Try horizontal too.

Also, for scenes like this, it's sometimes neat to isolate and expose for the rays of light shining through and let more of the scene go dark. This play of light and shadow can work really neat. Although, a different lens/focal length may have been required to isolates more of the scene.

Just a couple of ideas.

Thanks so much for the feedback, guys. I'm now more aware of the value of shadow and darkness within the frame, properly balanced of course. Part of me went in thinking: "I must see everything!" which is silly because there's just too much of everything except maybe for a huge print. That place is beautiful but also a real challenge because of the density of the vegetation. The entire area along the creek looks like that. That was also approaching midday; I'm thinking morning might be better. I'll be back.

Here's another shot I took -- about the "simplest" one of the whole series:
sgulch3treelookingupupl.jpg

Most reactions

Back