San Diego fires and horse evacuation efforts

Sweetsomedays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I assisted in the evacuation of 6 horses today. We had 3 trucks and 3-2 horse trailers and drove into Jumal which was closed but they were still allowing evacuation assistance to enter. On the way out it was completely closed off, the fire had jumped over the mountain and was coming right for where we were. We had to be re-routed to another way to get back on 15. But we made it safe. Many horses were left behind, we hardly saw any people. Just empty ranches with horses with no water and no food.

The ranch we evacuated form. Sadly this horse is still there. Another trailer was supposed to come but didn't make it in time.
DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0084-1.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

From our understanding these vehicles were going in to force people from their homes. More then 25 vehicles past us.
DSC_0145.jpg

Displaced horses
DSC_0057-2.jpg

You can see the efforts people have made to mark their horses. A friend of mine and her mother drove around the hills of poway yesterday picking up random horses. We still don't know where the owners are.
DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0052-1.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Many people are living in tents or their trailers at Miramar stables.
DSC_0029-3.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

There are over 150 displaced horses some with owners. It is amazing the outporing of kindness to everyone. Many people are sharing stalls. My horse has an evacuated horse in with him as does my barn buddy's horse. Other have no choice but to be tied inside the arena. Right now my Mom and another mother of a boarder are working with the red-cross to bring awarness to our food shortage for the horses. We have a little over 20 bales of hay and with over 230 horses to feed that doesn't go far.

I really like this series, just by looking at the pictures you can get a feel for whats going on. Nice photojournalistic work.

Bless you for all your efforts! I can't imagine what it's like out there for you all. Please take care. I hope you and yours stay safe.

From here in the drought-ridden southeast USA, you have all my best wishes for a speedy end to these wildfires. It's been crazy on both sides of the country, hasn't it??

nice work:thumbup:

nice to see someone out there being proactive instead of gawking and staring. i cant believe these fire are arson, thats crazy!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back