San Fran 1- The Color Holgas

oriecat

work in progress
Reaction score
Website
www.moltenwords.net
Just picked up the Fuji from the lab. Wasn't optimistic about what I would get, due to the rolling problem I had with the paper being too wide. The roll of 400 I shot on Alcatraz, which I had pushed to 800 since it got darker than I thought it would, well I got nothing. Giant leak across the entire thing. She said they were still going to try and get something from the first frame, as it wasn't so bad, but I looked at it and could tell there wasn't much there, so I said don't worry about it.

The roll of 800, I got 10 prints back. 4 of them are pretty dark, so I am not scanning them. Here are the others. Nothing very exciting. What's really weird... I saw the top one first. I thought I double exposed it, due to the weird dots on the sides. But then I realized that I didn't take pics of anything with dots. Then I looked at the negs and it's more clear... all of the dots and numbers are from the backing paper. I assume when it got exposed to light again due to the poor rolling, the images from the paper got exposed to the film. It's very bizarre.

sf1.jpg

sf2.jpg

sf3.jpg

And a couple that actually came out whole!
sf4.jpg

sf5.jpg

sf6.jpg

Those dots add an interesting abstract look your pictures, orie. That second one works well with the dots in my opinion. I like the grainy tecture and the narrow shape works well along with the dots. The dots actually goes with the balloon look of the 2nd picture. ;) The first 3 actually are interesting but the second one I is the one that stands out for me.

I also like your 4th one due to the color and angle of the shot. So did you confuse some of the locals with your taped up Holga? ;) Some of the Holgas I've seen look like they were just in an explosion. :D

The dots are weird....but I like 'em. Especially that first shot. This image could hardly be planned, and yet I dig its dreamy quality. :D I also like that 3rd image, as well. Looks like deliberate graphics added. Ha, I love it when so-called mistakes render such unique pieces. :thumbsup:

I really like how the use of color film seems to exaggerate the vignetting in Holgas, it looks kickass in every color image I've seen. I have to try this - just, now I know not to try the Fuji for its odd fit in these cameras. :?

A good first outing with color, Miss Orie. :sillysmi: I like all the city scapes, too!

Neat. I can't WAIT to get my first shots developed! I can't find anywhere around here that will develop it (cuz the rolls I bought are not C-41) so I'm gonna have to find a place online, I guess. Anyone know a place?

Most reactions

Back