Sandisk Cards - 200x or 300x ?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by bevin, Jan 25, 2009.

1. bevin

bevin TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm waiting for the arrival of my 40D and looking at cards for it. The guy in my shop recommended Sandisk Extreme III CF 8.0GB $180.00 (200x speed) and Sandisk Extreme IV CF 8.0GB $300.00 (300x speed) as the most popular cards currently (NZ dollars). Has anyone had any experience with either card and is it worth my while spending the extra $120 on the faster card?
    Cheers.

2. Mgw189

Mgw189 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Those prices seem really high to me anyway.

3. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sandisk regularly will run rebates. I use 4GB cards and the last buy was 3x cards and received $120 in rebate plus $30 on a firewire reader. Check Sandisk, Adorama and B&H websites if anything is running now. Otherwise, have one small capacity and wait for the next round of rebates.

4. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    NZ dollars, not American.

I would go with the Extreme 3, if you are a hobbyist shooter, you won't really care about the difference.

5. Mgw189

Mgw189 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah I know thats still about $150 or so dollars.

6. bevin

bevin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The prices aren't an issue as they are in New Zealand dollars for items purchased in New Zealand. US60 = NZ$112 and US$120 = NZ$225 plus shipping costs, import taxes and time. It's easier and not too much more expensive to buy from my local shop. Pretty much everything is cheaper in the US.

The question is, if I have a 40D (or possibly a 50D if I have to wait much longer for the 40D to arrive!!) will a 300x card be noticeably different to a 200x and if so, in what respect?

7. bevin

bevin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, I'm slow at typing!!

ANDS, thank you. Would you mind explaining how the card speed comes into play while shooting?

I probably will go with the III but I'd still like to know the difference.

Cheers.

8. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Faster cards write faster after shooting, so it dumps whatever memory buffer your camera has faster. However, you have to ask yourself, are you (at least now) going to be doing any kind of shooting that DEMANDS that kind of speed. For most hobbyist, they wont (hell even for some pro shooters).

Now if you were doing sports where it is very easy to fire off at your maximum frames per second and you need that slight advantage in image dumping speed - then sure I would give it a serious look. However for the most part, its largely just another expensive toy that folks with already expensive toys can proudly proclaim they use (most usually noted in an obnoxious signature).

I would check on Amazon.com and see if the price difference between your shop and online is worth it (I believe the IV goes for 95 American, about the cost of the III at your shop). Could probably even pay for expedited shipping and still come out on top.

9. Mgw189

Mgw189 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The difference would be how fast the images write to the card from the camera really. To be honest those cards are going to be over kill for a hobby photographer. Unless you are doing a lot of action shooting they probably really arent all that important.

This is the card I use with my Sony Alpha A100 its a 10MP camera I can get around 200 Raw shots on here or almost 500 JPEG shots on a 2Gig card

SanDisk | 2GB Extreme III CompactFlash Card | SDCFX3-002GR | B&H

10. bevin

bevin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :lol: Lovely!! Thanks for the explanation. Think I'll go with the III for now. I'll definitely be shooting some snowboarding and some b-ball when winter rolls around but I still don't think I'll need the IV. And sure if I do, well the prices will have come down by then!

I'm saving $300 on the 40D by getting it in NZ ($1,400 here inc a free crumpler bag, $1,699 on BH) and $50 on my 24-70mm lens ($2,200 here, $2,250 on BH) so I don't mind forking out a little extra on the card. Support local etc.

11. TwoRails

TwoRails TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    There's more to it than just fast cards. No all cameras can dump as fast as the card can handle: there are internal buffer and processing limitations. Can a 40D fire until the card is full? or does it have a limit before it's internal get 'full?'

12. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Too right. As an example, the new cards such as the Sandisk Extreme IV. Unless your camera supports the UMDA technology for the faster dump of the buffer, it is useless to buy this (or other manufacturers) card. RTFM.