Sandpiper

I'll be damned if I can find a good shot of a juvenile Common, but I think you're right now I've found a decent view of the Spotted. Heck, I'll just STFU... :lol:

Those legs look far too yellow though...

true - though if you look at the edit and compare to the original with the general landscape around the bird the edit looks a little more natural - and the legs there are not so bright.
*ps going by bird book rather than shots online*

Where did you photograph this Dmitri?

Long Island, New York. I borrowed a bird manual (The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds - Eastern Region) and can't find what it is either. The closest one it looks like is the Semipalmated Sandpiper - but they have black legs and shouldn't be around these parts.

Well, after consulting Sibley's, Kaufman's, & NatGeo Field Guide, I am going to throw my two cents in for the Lesser-Yellowlegs. It looks close to the Spotted, but the Spotted's bill goes from blond to orange, and is never that dark.

Well, after consulting Sibley's, Kaufman's, & NatGeo Field Guide, I am going to throw my two cents in for the Lesser-Yellowlegs. It looks close to the Spotted, but the Spotted's bill goes from blond to orange, and is never that dark.

Except the lesser yellowlegs doesn't come near new york. It definitely could be the spotted one tho. They are almost everywhere in the US and it does look pretty close.

Most reactions

Back