gnagel

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.nagelphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm searching for a new photography forum to view and post images. I just came across The Photo Forum this afternoon and thought I would get started by posting a picture that I took a couple of weeks ago on the island of Oahu.

Sandy Beach, Honolulu, HI

p2194498053-4.jpg

Nikon D800, Nikon 14-24 2.8

Thanks for looking...
Glenn

Last edited:
Good techincal landscape. Needs a lottle bit of exposure in some areas. The forground especially looks a bit like a blob of dark makeup. Woild be better with some more detail, or a little bit lighter maybe. Honestly havent done a lot of these so feel free to dismiss

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Very nice. I would like to see more of your work.

Good techincal landscape. Needs a lottle bit of exposure in some areas. The forground especially looks a bit like a blob of dark makeup. Woild be better with some more detail, or a little bit lighter maybe. Honestly havent done a lot of these so feel free to dismiss

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
Thanks for commenting...I appreciate it.

Glenn

There's much to like in that image- nice!

Is the horizon lower on the right side of the image?

There's much to like in that image- nice!

Is the horizon lower on the right side of the image?
Thank you, Peeb...

Since I use Photoshop's ruler tool on every landscape image, I'm stunned (and embarrassed) to see that the horizon in this photograph is not straight! Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I fixed it and reposted it to my photography website.

Glenn

very nice indeed.

Welcome to the forum Glenn. I like the image, very inviting, especially on a cool California morning. I don't mind that the image is bisected by the horizon because the rocks and clouds reflect each other creating leading lines top and bottom. You have all this symmetry going on ... then the sun if off center. For my eye, having the Sun centered would have hit the bullseye ... possibly a square format to further heighten the feel of symmetry. Regardless of symmetry, this is a nice and inviting image.

Welcome to the forum Glenn. I like the image, very inviting, especially on a cool California morning. I don't mind that the image is bisected by the horizon because the rocks and clouds reflect each other creating leading lines top and bottom. You have all this symmetry going on ... then the sun if off center. For my eye, having the Sun centered would have hit the bullseye ... possibly a square format to further heighten the feel of symmetry. Regardless of symmetry, this is a nice and inviting image.
Thanks for taking the time to provide such insightful comments!

I struggled with the decision on where to place the horizon. In the end, I wanted to keep as many of those leading lines (from the clouds and rocks) going into the sun as possible. I think that if I cropped out the right portion of the frame (to achieve a square crop with the sun in the center), I would sacrifice those directional rocks. However, I very much appreciate your input as it gets me thinking--which is what I am hoping these forums are all about.

Glenn

I saw that cropping would attain the symmetry but then you'd lose the rocks ... so you would have had to reposition the camera to capture what we now both see. I think you need to return to Hawaii and reshoot. :cool-48: ( ... and take me with you.)

I saw that cropping would attain the symmetry but then you'd lose the rocks ... so you would have had to reposition the camera to capture what we now both see. I think you need to return to Hawaii and reshoot. :cool-48: ( ... and take me with you.)
Excellent suggestion about returning to Hawaii! Actually, I have other perspectives from this photo shoot and I also returned to this beach for another sunrise--although no two sunrises are the same. The second time the clouds were also interesting, but completely different.

Glenn

Most reactions

Back