Saskatchewan Harvest

kanuski

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my favorite time of year in Saskatchewan. The dust from the combines helps create some beautiful sunsets.
Any and all C&C welcome.
** Last image in each set added after feedback.
1. One of my favorites. Too much foreground?
270A3051.jpg 270A3051-2.jpg 270A3051-4.jpg
270A3055.jpg 270A3055-2.jpg 270A3055-3.jpg
3. Not a great shot but I thought it was interesting.
270A3094.jpg 270A3094-2.jpg
4. I have taken dozens of shots like this already and they are nice but not amazing. How can I make this better? Any ideas?
270A3116.jpg 270A3116-Edit.jpg

Attachments

• 270A3051-3.jpg
    270A3051-3.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Very nice! I would straighten the horizon in all and #4 would be my pick.

Agree with the leveling the horizon comment. Also, don't center the horizon. Choose what area you want to be the focal point--the sky or the foreground. When you split it nearly equally like you've done it's less powerful.

Great work. Now...good luck surviving winter. And keep repeating to yourself...."at least I'm not in Winterpeg."

Nice shots. I ran a combine for two summers back in the mid-1980's, so I always enjoy seeing shots of combining! The shot with the northern lights is the most differentiated one. I also like the shot of the truck.

And you are right: the dust can create AMAZING sunsets. Just this very summer, I was driving north at sunset time on Interstate 5, just north of Woodburn, Oregon, at the VERY pinnacle of the grass seed harvest. Oregon's Willamette Valley produces the majority of the world's grass seed, and it was HOT that day, with no wind, around 96 degrees as sunset fell. All over the Valley, 3-,4-,5-,and 6-combine crews were madly harvesting grass seed by the tens of thousands of acres. As twilight fell and I drove north on I-5, the MOST-beautiful sunset of the summer fell, with glorious orange and pink clouds to the west. With the airborne particulate matter of the combining having floated aloft, and remaining trapped by the Pacific Coast Range mountains, I saw an amazing sight that is burned into my mind: silhouetted against the setting sun was a grain truck and a trio of combines pulling in to transfer their loads of grass seed to the truck, while in the foreground, an irrigation wheel line's many sprinkler heads irrigated earlier-harvested fields. Oh.My.Gosh. It was a glorious sight!

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back