Save for Web versus Save As

johngpt

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been noticing lately, that when I use photoshop's Save for Web from the File menu, that my photos seem rather less saturated than when viewing in photoshop or adobe bridge.

After working on this image for awhile, I used Save for Web, uploaded to flickr, and was amazed at how much of the reddish tones were lost. I'd specifically been creating adjustment layers and masks to keep the rainbow and sky, while adjusting the tones of my son's skin.

So I went back to the orig psd image in PS, and this time, just used Save As from the File menu, and saved it as a Medium level jpeg.

Here's the version via Save for Web:

2861039343_d955d01e81.jpg

Here's the version via Save As:

2861894478_b358a38776.jpg

And here is the unprocessed image, but I used Save As to make it smaller for easier uploading.

2861883704_dedea872a3.jpg

(BTW, this is my older son Mike, who saw me on the roof tonight, trying to catch the rainbow. He joined me up there, so he was fair game.)

So, what have been others' experiences regarding saturation or changes in hue with Save for Web versus other methods of getting things ready to upload?

Hmm.. I don't really see too much of a difference, in fact when I thought the Save For Web picture was the second one, I thought the first looked a hair more saturated.. I'm sure a trained eye will chime in with more helpful comments though..

Good shot by the way.

I know. After posting, there doesn't seem to be a major difference between the two here.

If one were to click on my flickr link in my signature, the difference between them might be more noticeable.

Most reactions

Back