Saving, maintaining and archiving my photography/image collection.

first off whats your budget....and what kind of size are we talking here.

All I have for my important files, including photos, is two seperate 1TB drives (they are like under $150 now each) and I just have them back up off of each other weekly. Basically they are mirrors of each other, but are handy in case one ever fails.

That's the cheap solution, you can get dedicated storage servers like the "drobo" (google it) and stuff if you have larger amounts of data or need to be very certain it is kept safe

This is pretty much what I do. And as far as defragging, no it won't damage the files, but since I never delete anything on the backup drives, defragging there is not needed. I use a software package named goodsync to help me keep things in sync, so I don't have to figure out what I have backed up. Also, when I dump memory cards from the camera, a copy of everything goes to one of the externals, which will then get synced to the other.

My system is simple:

Four different 2tb external drives, each with complete back-ups of both my 1tb internal and 1tb external drives.

Plus two more 2tb drives, each with copies (not back-ups.... copies!) of the 1tb drives, each stored in separate off-location sites.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back