bellacat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wildroseportraitphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let the war begin j/k

I want to start saving up for a DSLR. I know there are alot of post on here about folks looking for a new camera but I want to put in my post as well.

I currently have a Canon Rebel 2000 EOS 35mm. I have two lenses 28-80mm 0.38m/1.3ft and EF 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 1.5mm/4.9ft Honestly most of this is still foreign to me. I got the zoom lens as a recommendation from the mom & pop camera shop where I used to buy all my stuff from before I moved.

I learned the basics of SRL (though i forgot most of it now am relearning) on antique EOS Canon camera.

I have been eyeballing the 30D but the resolution is still low so i have been contemplated waiting for the next version from Canon whenever that might be or switching to Nikon. I know I'm a trader if i go to Nikon but given that i only have one special lens from canon and that there is that whole crop ratio to consider I'm not sure if its 100% worth the loyalty to stay with Canon and wait for the next model from the 30D or to switch to Nikon.

any thoughts or advice?

The resolution's too low? What do you plan on using the camera for? 8.2MP should be enough for most uses unless you plan on cropping quite a bit or printing at massive sizes at high resolution.

Hopefully this war is over for now and both parties are on good diplomatic terms ;)

Honestly, the resolution of the 30D is not low at all. 8mp is a bit more than 6mp. 10mp is a bit more than 8mp. For most folks the difference between 6 and 10 is not all that important, so the difference between 8 and 10 even less so. Honestly I can see few situations where you would be shooting with a 30D and think "Oh if only it were 10 megapixels". As the previous poster said, 8mp will probably be enough unless you're going to be doing serious cropping or enormous high-resolution prints... and in either case 10mp would not be much better anyway. Of far more importance to resolution is the quality of lenses you put on the front of the camera.

Honestly I would basically ignore the pixel count - at least when you're comparing 6 v 8 or 8 vs 10 megapixels - and assume that your options are entirely open. Your Canon gear probably isn't enough to compel you to go with Canon. But then there are good reasons for going for Canon anyway. Just like there are good reasons for choosing Nikon or other brands. I know you probably wanted us to help narrow down your choices to one company or another here, and I'm actually trying to do the opposite... sorry :) Honestly I recommend forgetting any baggage about loyalty and just go to another camera shop and play with as much gear as possible. Also consider what kind of lenses you might want now and in the future, whether they're available and how much they might cost depending on which system you choose. Those kind of larger issues of the system are going to be more important in the long term than which current camera looks slightly more impressive in spec sheets.

thanks...i'm so glad to now that the mp isn't an issue. I was begining to worry about that for a second. I have played with the nikon d40 and so far like it. I had contimpated on getting the d40 since that is what i can afford now and so i can learn the ropes of the nikon and later move up to a better camera.

I guess the hard part is going to be figuring out what lenses i would need which right now its all foreign to me. I plan on shooting portraits mostly but that is all the info i have to go on at the moment. I feel like i'm stuck in this dark cloud.

I suggest sticking with canon for no other reason other than you actually have 2 lenses. If your DSLR then fails for whatever reason bolt the lenses on the film camera till it gets fixed. Other than that quality wise the perceived differences between brands are purely fan based rants.

Second the megapixel comment. A 10megapixels camera is 10% wider and 10% taller, so for all intensive purposes exactly the same as an 8mpx. With an 8mpx you can quite comfortably blow something up A4 with perfect quality. If you blow something up to A3 you won't be staring at it from about 30cm or so away anyway so the quality can drop with no real world downside.

40D has come... go ahead and enjoy...

Most reactions

Back