Saying Hello w/ a few pics!

KylePeterson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, first time on the site and I'm excited to learn how to take some quality stuff! Here's a couple pics I took last week just kinda messing around. Let me know what I can do to get better!

thanks

My beautiful daughter Lydia:
IMG_3808.jpg

My clownfish hanging in the torch coral:
Clowns8.jpg

Wow the second one is great...exept for the noise that I think I see.

That might have been a photoshop mess up on my part, I'll post w/out the changes.

Hey, first time on the site and I'm excited to learn how to take some quality stuff! Here's a couple pics I took last week just kinda messing around. Let me know what I can do to get better!

thanks

My beautiful daughter Lydia:
IMG_3808.jpg

Hi Kyle
I will comment on Pic #1
It is underexposed just over a stop - so looks grey/drab/smoky...
Focus isn't too bad...
I adjusted for exposure, increased contrast a tad, desaturated the red and blue from the skin and sharpened for web...
The greyness/underexposure was likely that you metered for this pic and accepted the camera settings - giving you an 18% grey skin colour...
To expose for the skin - add a stop (and a bit, trial and error) to whatever your camera says is the correct exposure (It IS the correct exposure, but it is not the PROPER exposure...)
Also - suggest you take the same pic in natural light - much more aesthetically pleasing than raw onboard flash (and omits the pinlight from the eyes...) Nice pic...
Jedo

Attachments

• $Untitled-1.jpg
    $Untitled-1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 45
Good shot of the clowns. Nice anemone too. I understand fish pictures are challenging, so you should be proud of that one.

Did you take the picture of your daughter fairly close to her face? It looks like you may have. Generally its best to avoid getting super close to people when taking their picture as it does non-complimentary things.

Oh and hi! Welcome to the forums! :)

Thanks for the input! You're right on. I took the picture w/ the camera really close to her face. And I didn't spend the time that I needed playing w/ the camera settings. I'm still trying to figure out how all this stuff works

Thanks for the input! You're right on. I took the picture w/ the camera really close to her face. And I didn't spend the time that I needed playing w/ the camera settings. I'm still trying to figure out how all this stuff works

Woot. I love it when I'm right. It's pretty rare. :lol:

Keep shooting and asking for help here... you'll learn a lot.

I got into DSLR photography a year ago and more than a few experienced photographers to me old to get "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's available from Amazon and is almost required reading for beginners. It'll help you understand all that aperture/f/stop, shutter speed, ISO stuff and how they all work together to give you the proper exposure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back