sb-400 or sb-600

i wouldb be using it for skating shots and some portraits(i hope to make some cash off this)
is either flash good if you point it directly at them if you have nothing to bounce off of
also would these be good for macro shots because i do a lot of them

damn it man haven't you seen enough..... I have an SB400 and already I can't wait to bounce a flash off my forehead with an SB600.....

haha looks like thats what im gettin then

i wouldb be using it for skating shots and some portraits(i hope to make some cash off this)
is either flash good if you point it directly at them if you have nothing to bounce off of
also would these be good for macro shots because i do a lot of them

Works great with Macro. I shoot almost all of my macro with the diffused SB-600 off camera. Using the flash off camera really lets you play with the angle of lighting and can help cancel out ambient to give a darker background for more pop.

damn it man haven't you seen enough..... I have an SB400 and already I can't wait to bounce a flash off my forehead with an SB600.....

Lol

is a off brand off shoe cord the same as a nikon one

what make off brand flashes not as good

Nikons flashes are among the best. I have even had Canon owners on other forums say they wish theirs were as good.

The SC28 and 29 both allow for TTL metering (the camera controls the flash and calculates exposure automatically). If you use a generic cord you will have to shoot in manual mode (both camera and flash). Shooting in manual is not too bad, you have to shoot that way if your using ebay triggers or pocket wizards anyway. Keep in mind the D40 doesn't have a PC sync port, so your cable must connect to the hot shoe, also the SB600 doesn't have a PC socket (you need an SB800 for that feature :x), so you'll need a cable which plugs to the hot shoe on the flash also. I have the SC28 cable, and it is annoyingly short, so I may get a PC cord at some point as a backup to my ebay triggers.

im not so sure if i should get the 600 because it will most likely be on camera

Last edited:
BIGGAH NUMBAH BETTAH!

WAAAAAAAGGGHHH!!!

<cough> Sorry, had to don my Ork persona for a moment there.

+1 to the SB600

Paint it red. It'll go FFFAAAASSSTAHHH

It's really best if you ignore this entire post. I think I ate too much ice cream.

that made my day

im not so sure if i should get the 600 because it will most likely be on camera

SB-600 is still much better on camera than the 400. You can bounce it many different ways (like the side wall or behind you on the ceiling/wall). Also it's much more powerful in case you are ever using it somewhere with taller ceilings or outdoors.

ok thanks im probaly going to look at one today

Most reactions

Back