SB-600 off-camera

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by JenR, Sep 15, 2007.

1. JenR

JenR TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have been encouraged to post more here, so here are a couple I've been working on this week. I'm really trying to learn to use my SB-600 off-camera (a la Strobist). I would really, really love feedback on the lighting. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. please excuse the big, wet diaper
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice series. I'm guessing you're using it off camera on #2 & #3. The light seems a bit harsh to me on #3. Have you used the built-in wide angle adapter or bouncing? The refection on the eyes is distracting to me.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    this made my night. Finally someone who understands off camera flash. I think you did good, but i would put the strobe further away. The Inverse Square Law is working against you the closer you put your strobe. the further away it is, the more even your light would be, so you can avoid things like the boy holding the bear. the bear is brighter than the boy, if the strobe was further away, they would be lit evenly.

the inverse square law says that when you double the distance between the light and subject, the quarter the light, but it's exponential in the coverage.

but in all seriousness, i'm so happy that people don't shy away from flash and take advantage of it!

4. JenR

JenR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I acutally used the same light set-up for all of these. My flash was on a lightstand bounced into an umbrella on my right and a DIY reflector (aluminum foil on cardboard) was on the left.

Sw1tchFX-- Thanks for the tip about the Inverse Square Law. I'm off to do some reading and then try again. :)

5. emogirl

emogirl TPF Noob!

great job on all three...i think maybe you could have moved back the umbrella a bit more....but really well done!