SB-600 off-camera

JenR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been encouraged to post more here, so here are a couple I've been working on this week. I'm really trying to learn to use my SB-600 off-camera (a la Strobist). I would really, really love feedback on the lighting. Thanks!

091507_6.jpg

2. please excuse the big, wet diaper
091507_11.jpg

091507_9.jpg

091507_1.jpg

Nice series. I'm guessing you're using it off camera on #2 & #3. The light seems a bit harsh to me on #3. Have you used the built-in wide angle adapter or bouncing? The refection on the eyes is distracting to me.

this made my night. Finally someone who understands off camera flash. I think you did good, but i would put the strobe further away. The Inverse Square Law is working against you the closer you put your strobe. the further away it is, the more even your light would be, so you can avoid things like the boy holding the bear. the bear is brighter than the boy, if the strobe was further away, they would be lit evenly.

the inverse square law says that when you double the distance between the light and subject, the quarter the light, but it's exponential in the coverage.

but in all seriousness, i'm so happy that people don't shy away from flash and take advantage of it!

Nice series. I'm guessing you're using it off camera on #2 & #3. The light seems a bit harsh to me on #3. Have you used the built-in wide angle adapter or bouncing? The refection on the eyes is distracting to me.

I acutally used the same light set-up for all of these. My flash was on a lightstand bounced into an umbrella on my right and a DIY reflector (aluminum foil on cardboard) was on the left.

Sw1tchFX-- Thanks for the tip about the Inverse Square Law. I'm off to do some reading and then try again. :)

Most reactions

Back