sb-600 question

Yes, you can manually adjust the output on the flash itself or you can set the flash to manual and then just move the flash in respect to the subject.

I bought the Hong Kong wireless setup (works fine) and use an Sb 600 and an Sb 28, as you described, a lot. Depending on the size of the room or subject I have them set to manual and at most 1/2 power and just move them back and forth for the aperture I want to use and the ratio I want. Setting them at less than full power helps in the recycling times too.

For large groups I set one on either side and use a 3rd (a big ol' potato mashing Metz) with the camera to light the whole group. (the Metz actually lights them the other two just balance out the ratios on the people near and at the edges of the group.

While you're about it go to a thrift shop or a pawn shop and pick up a really cheap flash and then an optical slave to place behind your subjects to use as a kicker. with a little practice you can really kick them off the photo. Works great for high key too. :)

The beauty of all this is that if you want to go on location you can carry it all in one trip.

mike

btw, if you are going to be shooting a Lot in a controlled environment, use a manual setting on the flashes. Nikons do really well in iTTL but they are not absolutely consistent.

yeah i think ill have to get sum pockiet wizards to do what i want. but ummm can u control the strength of the sb600 seperately? and, do u have to fire the on cameraa flash to trigger an off camera sb600?

You do not need pocket wizards to do what you want. Buy one SB800, two 600's and you will be set. You can set the 800 on camera to 1/128 if you don't want it to affect your lighting overall, and even get a catchlight out of it. Using the CLS you will have a ton of options. Pocket wizards would allow you more flexibility, but you do not need that yet, and the CLS system is easier to use.

Have fun.

Arrr. Why? He has a D80. The problem is not setting up the wireless it's that CLS is very limited because it uses light rather than radio to trigger the flashes.

That said you still don't need pocket wizards. They are like $400 or something. There's cheap chinese triggers on ebay for 1/10th of that which work just as well. Accept a few miss-fires on rare occasions.

What Garbz said Plus, 2 600s and an 800 costs $700.

1 Sb600 (you really do need 1 for fill flash capability and other iTTL functions- just too convenient sometimes), cheaper wireless setup (go ahead and get 4 receivers), 2 used Sbs (24,25,26,28) and a pawnshop flash is around $450.

With the $250 you save you can get stands, deflectors/diffusers and a roll of background paper. If you shop carefully then you might get a stand for the background instead of having a DYI rig.

And with this setup, you are ready to roll!

Most reactions

Back