sb-600 vs the sb-800

Southernbelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im getting a new flash (mine is about 6 years old)is the 800 really worth the extra 150? pros? cons? input please

This has come up a few times, please try a search... also for exact technical specs, don't be shy to look them up on the Nikon website. :)

Long story short...
SB-800 = better & stronger but more $.

I felt it was better enough that I bought it. I am very glad I did. What and how you shoot will define if it is worth it for you.

Im getting a new flash (mine is about 6 years old)is the 800 really worth the extra 150? pros? cons? input please

In my opinion, it depends on the body that you'll use it with. I have the D80 and I bought the 600.

They are both great flashes. I own a 600 but use an 800 that belongs to a friend.

Buy one of each :)

I just picked up a 600 for my D40x and its one hell of a flash. I was thinking about the 800 only for the command option but ill just save for a d80 when the time comes

I have one of each. The 800 is certainly more powerful, has a 5th battery adapter for quicker cycle time, and a bit more intuitive.

The 600 is a fine flash as well.

If the $150 isn't gonna kill you, go for the 800, otherwise you will be happy with the 600.

Just make sure you have Commander Mode capability on your camera body (D80 and up) for full functionality.

I have a 600 and have never felt like I needed something more. Don't forget the little SB-400 too. I actually prefer using that a lot just due to the small size and weight rather than lugging my 600 around. You can flip up the head for bouncing too, but just not to the right or left or backwards like you can on the 600/800.

I used the SB-800 once in a location the size/shape of an arena. At 1/2 power, I was half way up on one side of the stands and could light up the stands across the OTHER side half way up.

On the strobist site, one guy used 2 SB-800s to light an ENTIRE basketball court, so that no matter where he shot, his subjects were properly lit.

Thats pretty darned impressive!

Thanks for the input, Im still torn...
I have a D80, I want the flash for portraiture.

couple questions for those of you that have both.

1. is the weight difference really that noticable?
2. I saw that the batt life was a lot shorter on the 800, how much does adding the extra battery help that?
3. Im just starting out, and Im wondering if I should just get the 600 for the time, and get the 800 later? is the 800 capable of commanding studio lighting as well?

and I did do a search. It didnt exactly answer my questions

Get the 600. It's a flash-unit, the weight should be negligible regardless. If you're doing portrait work, I can't imagine battery life being an issue unless you're just going bat-guano crazy and firing the thing off needlessly.

The weight difference is 50g more for the 800.

The fifth battery will quicken recycle time for the next shot.

The 800 can be set as the master flash. Not sure on studio lighting, but they at the least would need to be IR compatible for the 800 to preflash them.

Depending on your ISO setting, zoom-head position and aperture the shooting distance range for the 600 is 2-66 feet. Plenty enough for portraiture work.

You would still want to consider the other things like lightstand, clamp, umbrella/softbox. The $$ difference between the 600 & 800 could go for those items.

Thanks for the input, Im still torn...
I have a D80, I want the flash for portraiture.

couple questions for those of you that have both.

1. is the weight difference really that noticable?
2. I saw that the batt life was a lot shorter on the 800, how much does adding the extra battery help that?
3. Im just starting out, and Im wondering if I should just get the 600 for the time, and get the 800 later? is the 800 capable of commanding studio lighting as well?

I cant say anything on the studio lighting. But I will say the 600 is a great starting flash. I have one and, love it.

Try searching page 119 of your D80 user manual.

try answering a n00bs question. The manual is so dry nothing sticks.

I didnt know there was a reference to flashes in the manual

Most reactions

Back