SB-600

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by ShotwellPhotography, Sep 22, 2009.

1. ShotwellPhotography

ShotwellPhotography TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So i just got my SB-600 yesterday for my D90. I read the manual and just played with it a bit yesterday. Just looking for some tips and advice on it. Also how often is the manual mode used? Is it something I should try to become pretty comfortable with?

2. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe I haven't learned to use it properly, but I use manual far more often than iTTL.

3. SrBiscuit

SrBiscuit TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    one thing that i did that opened up my options was taking it off cam.
    i just have a D40, so i need a cable to do it (or radio triggers, but for now i have the cable).

just play play play with light....bounce, diffuse, enjoy!

check out stobist.com if you havent yet. :D

4. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Use whichever exposure mode you like, change settings like compensation till your happy with the image from the camera, manual is great if you have fiddling time on your hands, pro's use the mode best suited for the job, in my case, almost always aperture priority with EC set to suit me, fast, efficient, its a tool which needs tweaking, tweak it. H

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My flash is never on manual when it's on the camera. Too many variables change. It's bad enough sticking to lighting but if I take a step forward the variables would change.

First thing you should do is start learning to get the flash off the camera, when it's off then use it in manual. Now moving around doesn't change your flash to subject distance much. With a D90 you *should* (I haven't tried) be able to set off the flash using wireless CLS. Set your on camera flash to commander, and your SB-600 to remote and get snapping :)