SB-800 question

rmh159

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was using the SB-800 this weekend and noticed that the pics were coming out underexposed despite my camera settings (F8, 1/60th SS). I took a few pics and watched the LCD on the flash and saw that it would flash -3 where the exposure compensation is usually displayed.

It was obviously telling me that it was underexposed but I was using the flash on TTL mode and thought it should've compensated. Any ideas what's going on or if I have a setting wrong somewhere?

Thanks

Maybe a stupid question...but did you have a negative FEC set?

Haha not a stupid question at all... I've done worse. I checked the flash and it wasn't. I up'ed the FEC on the flash to +3 thinking it might counter it and still no luck.

The only thing I didn't verify was that the FEC wasn't set to -3 in camera which MIGHT be the case assuming the camera's FEC would overwrite the flash's. For the sake of discussion though let's assume the camera is balanced out as well. Any other obvious things I might be overlooking?

What were you shooting? I believe that it's common for E-TTL flash metering to be centre weighted...so if there is something bright & reflective in the middle of the scene...it could be throwing off the flash metering.

But that wouldn't explain why the flash is showing -3 :scratch:

Are you shooting in P,A,S, or M? Using the canned modes, the camera has a mind of it's own.

Most reactions

Back