SB600 - D40 - Trigger?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by JenLavazza, Jan 30, 2010.

1. JenLavazza

JenLavazza TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello,
    I just bought the SB600. I've been doing a little research on what else I need to get so when it comes in I'll be ready to start using it!! I have a Nikon D40. From what I've read I'll need to buy a trigger so I can use the flash on a stand...correct? Can I just use one of the umbrella's I already have for a diffuser? Is this trigger what I should get:
    Wireless Flash Trigger for Nikon SB28 SB600 SB800 SB900 - eBay (item 260545087287 end time Jan-31-10 18:50:07 PST)
    Or is it best to use the flash on my camera with a diffuser of some type?
    I usually shoot using natural light or I have a few continuous lights I'll use if I need them. I've been experimenting using my on camera flash with a diffuser lately and it's helped since we've only seen sun twice in the last three weeks. Ugh...lighting is complicated (and expensive!)! lol
    Thanks in advance for all your help!!

2. Felix0890

Felix0890 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think the D40 has Nikon's CLS so you might need to purchase the triggers to get it off the camera (a Nikon user can answer that specifically).

About those ebay triggers: they're cheap. The best triggers you can get are about $450US (PocketWizards) but I'm going to assume that you are not on a professional budget. If you're getting payed for photo shoots that are on the serious side (i.e. weddings) and are working under conditions where every shot needs to be dead on and cannot be missed then the ebay triggers are not great since they can sometimes misfire or not fire at all. If photography's a hobby for you, the triggers will work fine with the occasional misfire (read: 1-10 every 100 fires).

About the umbrella, which one do you have? Are you talking about a normal everyday sun/rain umbrella? If so, no you cannot use it as a difusser (well, you can but it will be crappy). The light umbrellas are designed specifically for lighting and are made of material that reflects light naturally. Also, household umbrellas are usually black and since black doesn't reflect light, you wouldn't be able to use it at all. If you have an all white one for some strange reason, you might be able to use it in a ghetto way but you won't be able to fix it to an umbrella holder on a light stand and the quality of the reflected light will not be the best.

If you already haven't, go to strobist.com They have a ton of useful information for lighting.

3. Darkhunter139

Darkhunter139 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  4. JenLavazza

JenLavazza TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Felix! I'm actually on that website right now :)

LOL I have a couple white light umbrellas that came with my continuous lighting set up. I couldn't help but to laugh when you thought I meant a rain umbrella!!! I guess this is a beginners section and you probably get all kinds!

I'm just confused about all the different stuff I need to buy. Strobist brought to my attention I'll need a device to attach to my light stand that hold the flash and umbrella...another $20.00... Then I need some sort of trigger device. I don't want to go too cheap, but $400 is out of the question. I take photos of babies and children mostly. Maybe I'll start with this cheap set and see how it goes. Do I need anything else? Or is the trigger set and light stand adapter it?? Also, does anyone know if I can still use my on camera flash when I have the trigger attached to my camera?

5. Darkhunter139

Darkhunter139 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No you cant use the on camera flash with the transmitter on your camera. And yeah that's all you would need, a second flash would probably be nice as well though.

6. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you don't want to spend $400 on triggers the Paul C. Buff Cyber Syncs are amazing. Unless you want the TTL capabilities of your flash I don't see a reason to buy the Pocket Wizards. 1600' is ridiculous distance and I don't see where you would need that type of distance. A few hundred feet reliability is enough for me. They are just as reliable and everything. Great little triggers. If you do buy them though you will have to also buy the little speed light adapter so you can use a pc connection with the sb600 because it doesn't have one built in. You will need an umbrella adapter, lightstand, and the umbrella.
    TJ

7. Felix0890

Felix0890 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Where did you purchase those? Been looking for them everywhere but can't find a retailer that has them in stock.

8. Darkhunter139

Darkhunter139 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    DealExtreme: $29.99 RF-602 Wireless Flash Trigger for Nikon D90/D5000 DSLR Cameras

Takes a long time to get them (about 2 and a half weeks) but they are cheap and its worth the wait.

9. JenLavazza

JenLavazza TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I can't find the RF-602 that says it's compatible with my D40...however, I saw a blog post that someone was testing it with theirs so I know they make them. Grrrrrr

I'll look into those Paul C. Buff Cyber Syncs too.

10. Darkhunter139

Darkhunter139 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The shutter release will not work but it will work fine for your flashes. I have a D40 and got the exact set I linked.

11. JenLavazza

JenLavazza TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Darkhunter!! I was getting frustrated!

12. jnm

jnm TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    when im using the D40 i use the cactus system and have never had any issues. ive found that sometimes they dont work in all locations, but thats always been solved by simply switching up the channels. can get it at midwestphoto. not the highest quality build construction (ok even thats a stretch :lol:) but they work and are cheap. http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,11447.html